Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings. It would appear that most of our PALS are resistant to mobility assists. I struggle with this even though M would never dream of not using his walker now-he resisted for a good year and a half. Now he is dragging his heels with the power wheelchair.....Let us know more about your self. Your interests, your household, what vacations you are planning etc.
Anna

Welcome to the group!

Welcome and glad you joined us but not for your reason why. After my pals umpteenth fall I sternly told him no more walking alone. He told people that he was not allowed to walk or do transfers without adult supervision. Your husband sounds like many of the guys who don't give up walking without aids or chairs u tell they crack their heads a few times but as Max says, DON'T FALL!

Stay with us, we understand.

Sherry

Welcome. So Sorry your here. I relate to your husbands resistance to walking aids. For me, it was a matter of dignity and ego...with a good helping of denial mixed in. I'd always been the "tower of strength" and didn't want to admit to the world (let alone myself) that had changed forever. It was a difficult transition. Here's what helped me over that hump.......My realization that I was in the early stages of a `gradual super slide into a totally invalid state. Now, every day is a blessing that should be utilized in every way...for work....and enjoyment. Why risk a fall, that might end up costing weeks, or months of immobility with a cast? A cane is very stabilizing. Look at mountain hikers.....a good walking stick is basic equipment...for a good reason. Help him understand keeping as safe as possible is a gift for you and the kids. Hope this helps.

May God Bless Us All........................Glenn

Thanks for such a warm welcome everyone! It's been a relief to hear that many of you have dealt with the same issues. My husband missed two days of work this week because he was too weak to walk (his work doesn't know the full story yet). We scheduled an appointment with a nurse from the Les Turner Foundation on Monday. I'm hoping she'll be able to get him to understand the importance of using a cane or wheelchair to save his strength and energy. He's just so stubborn about doing it all on his own.

Someone asked about me... And our family, etc. I've been married to my PAL for 20 years and we have two girls, 17 and 13. They're both such a huge help (and support for me). I work full time for the state as a school improvement director, so I'm on the road a lot. So far it's been ok, but I know as he progresses, my schedule will have to change. We have our next vacation planned for his birthday in September to Nantucket! He's always wanted to go, so we decided what the hell! :). We're also planning to get away in February if we can.

Thanks again for listening!

Kevsgal, I am quite sure I will be in big trouble from all the blokes, but...I find with Wayne (my husband) that if I suggest and comment in the right way, and it slowly becomes "his idea" we are good to go...sorry fellas, but I think it's worldwide!:):)
Maybe before the appointment drop noncommittal hints etc. worth a shot maybe?
All the best with it, a walking stick, walker or PwC will change all your lives for the better.

All you y'all blokes know I love you all!:wink::wink:

God bless, Janelle xx

He's just so stubborn about doing it all on his own.

... two girls, 17 and 13. They're both such a huge help

Janelle and Glenn are right about men. Lots of manly ego involved. It has to be our idea. But ideas can be planted :)

In fact, I'm a proponent of giving PALS anything they want, without question, even if we disagree or even if it's not "good" for them. ALS takes away all their choices, so I like CALS to give every PALS anything they choose.

Kevsgal, our kids were 13 and 15, and helped so much that they could do everything I could do and they could do everything the nurses could do, too. They fed mom, crushed and mixed meds, operated breathing machines and the patient lift... Kids can handle it all if you train them.

You'll like it here. Lots of support and good ideas. --Mike

Welcome. My husband won't use a cane or walker either and has already taken a few falls. I bought the walker and put it in the living room where he can see it everyday and have metnioned that it is scary to me when he falls. I am hoping that he will eventually use it and will know when the time is right. All we can do is discuss options with them and let them make as many decisions as they can. That is hard for me becasue I want to make sure he is safe and I am donig my best to insure that.

Kevsgal, I am quite sure I will be in big trouble from all the blokes, but...I find with Wayne (my husband) that if I suggest and comment in the right way, and it slowly becomes "his idea" we are good to go...sorry fellas, but I think it's worldwide!:):)
Maybe before the appointment drop noncommittal hints etc. worth a shot maybe?
All the best with it, a walking stick, walker or PwC will change all your lives for the better.

All you y'all blokes know I love you all!:wink::wink:

God bless, Janelle xx

LOL... Not sure what you mean... ;-)

FWIW, Vicky got me this really cool walking/hiking stick instead of a geriatric looking cane. I haven't had a chance/need to use it yet BUT actually can't wait to do so.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. Yes sorry to hear you have to be here! Joining this forum was the best, kind, thoughtful, honest and caring people are the best to be around. My hubby ( Ed) and I are new too! We have found good advice here and can be one step ahead with the knowledge of the senior members who share there life.
Cheers Alana

Welcome to the forum. There is an absolutely amazing group of insightful, kind, and helpful individuals here.

Thanks everyone! Today is an especially rough day for me. Found out that my husband's work contract won't be extended after early November. I'm pretty much freaking out, as he hasn't even started with FMLA as he's been working full time; we have an employment lawyer who will try to help us through this mess..... but it's still an unbelievable punch in the gut knowing we won't have that 2nd paycheck coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back