Not open for further replies.

Noirvault

Country
US
State
tx
City
Irving
I wish I were new then my body would be too, but that's not the case. I'm just new HERE. Everywhere else I'm a decrepit old fool.
Anyway..for the past few years I have been losing strength by the bucket loads. About 3 years ago I was hauling scrap metal for a living jumping in dumpsters or what have you and loading my pickup truck with every available scrap of metal I could find then unloading and selling it all at the local scrap yard and I was good at it. I could lift a stove over my head and lift most refrigerators without help, but now carrying a gallon of milk from the car to the house has become a real challenge for me.
I no longer have a use for a pickup truck nor for the many tools I once used to take things apart to separate various metals. The closet I have to a use for tools now is my cigarette lighter because i still smoke like a fiend, but other than that they just collect dust and rust.
At first doctors pretty much ignored my complaints of losing strength until I was forced to use a cane to walk and I still am using it, but moving now is slow, painful and tedious at best. About the furthest I can walk now is to the car and back, about 150 feet there and back and each trip takes me about 15-20 minutes and if I could get a wheel chair through that path I surely would. The reason i don't is because it's full of roots and rocks and assorted junk not to mention it's like a maze of fences pushing anything through it. Also I barely have the strength to lift a wheel chair anymore so loading and unloading one in and out of a car would be nearly impossible for me.
I haven't been diagnosed with anything as of yet, but have had several diseases ruled out such as MS and other things. My doc thinks it might be ALS, but we still don't know so now I'll get to why I think it might be and why it's still undiagnosed.
My last trip the the clinic where these tests are done took me over an hour to get from the car to the office and in that time i had to stop several times to rest plus when I got to the floor it was on I couldn't find it so i just haven't been back. In the meantime I've lost a lot more strength and I seriously doubt I would ever make it to that floor unassisted again. That doesn't even mention lack of funds for gas money there and back.
Everything I have read about ALS or MND leads me to the same place and I've been to almost every other forum or site that could possibly be the culprit and it always leads back to ALS or some form of MND.
I'm not really scared of death and in fact i look forward to it in many ways. I've had a damned hard life anyway and another 30 or 40 years of it doesn't have any appeal to me in any manner whatsoever. So if I do have ALS it might as well be that as anything else. I can think of plenty of worse things to die from. Old age is one.
I'm not overly depressed. I accept it for what it is and I have nobody to blame and wouldn't want a scapegoat if there was one anyway.
The only issue i am scared of is the impending inability to care for myself. Right now I'm a caregiver for an elderly woman with really bad knees and between her bad knees and my weak as hell legs we make a great pair. Neither of us have family who really gives a damned one way or another and those who do care either live to far away or are to wrapped up in their own lives. Her offspring live close, but in the 5 years I've been here only one has dropped by for a visit and even that was a quick hello and goodbye to check to make sure I wasn't hitting her over the head to take everything she has. I was already accused of that once.
Marjorie is my only and best friend in this crappy earth so the last person i would even consider hurting is her. I am worried though that once i am unable to care for myself her own quality of life will go from bad to much worse. As it is now she often sits in her own urine for hours because its to difficult to get up to go to the bathroom for her most days and I am unable to lift her, but I do manage to do the laundry and hang up the dozens of towels she uses every week to sit on. What will happen to me is anyones guess.
You see..I live in a separate building from her. She lives in the house and i live in the shed out back. I have heat and electric and even the internet. We keep in touch with the use of walkie talkies and rechargeable batteries.
Now about some of my symptoms.. I do get leg cramps especially at night when my feet get nasty little spasms. Other than weakness which is becoming profound when I walk, especially in the morning I feel like I've been walking or even running barefoot on sharp rocks all night..Quite painful, but as the day goes on the pain usually eases up somewhat until I sit for long periods then it's right back to the same pain again when i have to stand.
Since this began I have has burning pain just below the skin what feels as if someone lifted my skin and dropped something hot between the skin and muscle in my legs, but this pain often moves from place to place. Some days in my legs and feet and others in my arms, back, neck, chest and so on, but it's mostly concentrated in my legs.
Well, I'm worn out typing this so I can't do much more so I'll close and hopefully finish later. I don;t know what's really going on and i don't want to say its this or that, but it is quite maddening to not be able to do much of anything i once could. Just typing in often exhausting..
Thanks for reading and i hope to return soon. Oh yeah..In my signature is my site. I have so much free time so I watch a great many movies online. I hate commercials so i watch online. Drop on by sometime if you like old movies..most are B movies.the fun ones..

Thanks again..
M aka Noirvault

Aren't you the forum member known as Unlegendary?

Ahh..so i was. I had forgotten that username..It was in one of my more depressed periods and I had hoped it would just fizzle and go away.. Thanks for recognizing me though.

Well it is good to hear from you again, I had wondered how you were doing.

Not quite a wonderful as I would like which is relative really.. I learned that crossing my legs makes straightening them extraordinarily painful and if for some reason I need to move quickly, like the room being on fire or something bad like that I am totally screwed.
I just unwrapped myself to let the dog out and moving 10 feet took me about 4 minutes..but the pain did ease up once I got on my feet again so that's a good thing., I'm right now trying to find the ambition to go get a dish of ice cream and the freezer is outside so it includes cold, pain, walking about 40 feet there and back hoping I don't fall and of course shooing the dog out of my path because she has some strange idea that after 3 years I'm still going to chase her to throw ball for her.
Basically trying to remain positive when things are crumbling around me and in me at the same time.
I am surprisingly happiest when things seem the worse. If my health improved and I suddenly found money somewhere I have a nagging feeling that i would fall into depression for no particular reason.. Sounds odd, but my life seems to work that way for some unknown reason.. maybe it's the misery loves company thing..i dunno. LOL
All my life i have had plenty of reasons to do negative things, but didn't do them until I had no reason to do them. maybe it's a subconscious self destruct mechanism kind of like in the movies where the space ship has a self destruct sequence that goes off for unknown reasons.
Lots of pain, poverty. loneliness and I don't feel all that bad about it maybe i shoulda listened when my teachers told me to get my priorities straightened out. lol

Maybe I should have used punctuation there too..It might have actually made sense. :p

It's getting painful to move and to support my own weight sitting up to type.
I guess you could say I was blessed with good balance because without it and my ability to lock my knees when I stand I would have been either bed ridden or wheelchair bound some time ago. Just 3 years ago I could walk along the railing of the back of my pickup truck with no hands. I had a fence for lack of a batter term i had built to hold in extra scrap and quite often I had to walk along it to move things and I could do that without flinching or even thinking about it and i never once slipped. I could hop through piles of junk and scrap like a rabbit through the brush and now..just making it to the bathroom is a struggle and I can no longer walk without holding onto something for balance and each step seems to get weaker and weaker.
Just a month ago I would make a few trips a day to get ice cream or whatever without thinking about it, but now before i make such trips I have to sit for some time before getting the courage to even attempt to stand much less make the trip..and once again I feel my bladder filling up and I know what that means. I have no indoor plumbing so it means going outside in the cold at night.. BLEH! I just don’t want to do this much longer..If it were warm still it wouldn’t bother me as much, but the cold...well You know..
So instead of writing about it I'm going to stop doing that and summon up the courage once again and hope it's the last time tonight.

just thought ad let you know..am a decrepit old fool too....................

I guess there's an upside to it.. Nobody calls a decrepit old fool a punk kid. other than that there's not to many more..maybe the fact that we no longer have to wait to see what we'll look like when we get old and big red zits on school picture day are a thing of the past and I just can't remember the last time i worried that someone might laugh because my pants are a little to loose.... Yep..running out of material here.. lol

Hi, what happened to your site address? I am getting creative procrastinating and wanted to visit your site but no longer see it listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back