Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Pearshoot. If studies are suggested, I will pick and choose with caution. I'm a bit of an anti-pill person. I believe in taking the minimum amount of medication necessary for reasonable comfort and concentrating on mild exercise and good nutrition. If I took all the medication that has been suggested, I would be a zombie. My body has quit on me, but I want to retain reasonable cognitive function for as long as possible.

At this point, I'm still able to work as a bookkeeper a few hours per month.

billbell- Thanks for that link. I think I've read it before but couldn't find it again. It's the only reference I've found that estimates the number of people suffering from PLS.

old dog- I do try to live a healthy lifestyle. Exercise became a lot more important for me after my mom got sick. I guess I have this foolish notion that if I keep my body strong, maybe I can beat this thing.

I wish were all considered rare birds that doctors were interested in. My mom's neurologist has basically given up doing anything further for her. I think she has yearly visits to monitor progress, but no one is doing any work on it. The doctors didn't suggest or initiate genetic testing for me or my brother. I'd gladly be a lab rat if it meant getting some attention. But, maybe PLS patients will one day benefit from ALS research and treatments.

Here is a summary of the paper on hereditary PLS. This is the only documented case I have heard of. I am in a PLS study group. I'll ask my coordinator if she has heard of any cases.
======================================
Arch Neurol. 2008 Mar;65(3):383-6. doi: 10.1001/archneur.65.3.383.
A locus for primary lateral sclerosis on chromosome
4ptel-4p16.1.
Valdmanis PN, Dupré N, Rouleau GA.
Source
Department of Human Genetics, McGill
University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Primary lateral sclerosis (PLS) is
an adult-onset upper motor neuron disease resulting in spinal and bulbar
spasticity. A family with 8 individuals diagnosed with PLS was previously
reported.
OBJECTIVE:
To identify a locus for a large
family with PLS.
METHODS:
A 550-marker whole-genome scan was
performed on this family followed by fine mapping with sequence-tagged site
markers to identify a candidate region.
RESULTS:
A locus was identified for this
family between the telomere of chromosome 4 and marker D4S2928 (4ptel-4p16.1).
A maximum lod score of 3.01 was obtained for marker D4S2936. The region spans
23.17 cM (10.2 megabase pairs) and encompasses 130 genes.
CONCLUSIONS:
PLS1
does not map near any other identified loci for upper or lower motor neuron
diseases and thus represents a novel locus for PLS.
Â
The following is from the OMIN site:

PRIMARY LATERAL SCLEROSIS, ADULT, 1; PLSA1

Alternative titles; symbols
PLS, ADULT; PLSA

Cytogenetic location: 4p16 Â Â Genomic coordinates (GRCh37): 4:0 - 11,300,000
(from NCBI)

Gene Phenotype Relationships
Location Phenotype Phenotype
MIM number
4p16 Primary lateral sclerosis, adult, 1 611637

Clinical Synopsis

TEXT
Description
Although primary lateral sclerosis (PLS) is similar to amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (ALS; 105400), they are considered to be clinically distinct
progressive paralytic neurodegenerative disorders. Following a period of
diagnostic confusion, the clinical distinction between ALS and PLS became clear
and diagnostic criteria were established (Pringle et al., 1992). PLS is
characterized by degeneration of the upper motor neurons and the corticospinal
and corticobulbar tracts, whereas ALS is a more severe disorder characterized by
degeneration of both the upper and lower motor neurons.

See 606353 for autosomal recessive juvenile-onset PLS, which is caused by
mutations in the ALS2 gene (606352).

Clinical Features
Pringle et al. (1992) reported 8 unrelated patients with adult-onset sporadic
PLS and suggested diagnostic criteria. Clinical features were limited to those
associated with the descending motor tracts and included spastic tetraparesis,
pseudobulbar affect, spastic dysarthria, hyperreflexia, and extensor plantar
responses. The mean age at onset was 50 years, and the disorder was slowly
progressive. Neuropathologic findings showed selective involvement of the motor
cortex with atrophy of pyramidal cells and degeneration of the lateral
corticospinal tracts. Lower motor neurons were spared.

Dupre et al. (2007) reported a 3-generation French-Canadian family in which 8
living members had primary lateral sclerosis inherited in an autosomal dominant
pattern. Four decreased family members were reportedly affected. Age at onset
ranged from 30 to 60 years, with an average of 48.4 years. The disorder began
with progressive asymmetric spastic paraparesis and weakness of the lower limbs
followed by upper limb involvement. Bulbar symptoms developed later with spastic
dysarthria and dysphagia. Reflexes were diffusely increased and sensation was
normal. Nerve conduction abnormalities consistent with an axonal neuropathy
occurred in some patients later in the disease. Brain MRI was normal in all, but
2 patients showed mild spinal cord atrophy. The disorder appeared to involve
only upper motor neurons. Linkage analysis excluded multiple loci including
ALS2.

Mapping
By genomewide scanning of a large French Canadian family with adult PLS (Dupre
et al., 2007), Valdmanis et al. (2008) identified a 23.17-cM candidate region on
chromosome 4ptel-4p16.1 (maximum lod score of 3.01 at D4S2936) that they termed
PLS1.

Molecular Genetics
Exclusion Studies

Brugman et al. (2007) found no mutations in the ALS2 gene among 51 presumably
unrelated Dutch patients with adult-onset PLS.

In a large French Canadian family with adult PLS, Valdmanis et al. (2008)
excluded mutations in the MYL5 gene (160782) by molecular analysis.

Nomenclature
Valdmanis et al. (2008) referred to the locus on chromosome 4ptel-p16.1 as
'PLS1'; however, this symbol has been reserved for the plastin-1 gene (602734).

REFERENCES
1. Brugman, F., Eymard-Pierre, E., van den Berg, L. H., Wokke, J. H. J.,
Gauthier-Barichard, F., Boespflug-Tanguy, O. Adult-onset primary lateral
sclerosis is not associated with mutations in the ALS2 gene. Neurology 69:
702-704, 2007. [PubMed: 17698795, related citations] [Full Text: HighWire Press]

2. Dupre, N., Valdmanis, P. N., Bouchard, J.-P., Rouleau, G. A. Autosomal
dominant primary lateral sclerosis. Neurology 68: 1156-1157, 2007. [PubMed:
17404201, related citations] [Full Text: HighWire Press]

3. Pringle, C. E., Hudson, A. J., Munoz, D. G., Kiernan, J. A., Brown, W. F.,
Ebers, G. C. Primary lateral sclerosis: clinical features, neuropathology and
diagnostic criteria. Brain 115: 495-520, 1992. [PubMed: 1606479, related
citations] [Full Text: HighWire Press]

4. Valdmanis, P. N., Dupre, N., Rouleau, G. A. A locus for primary lateral
sclerosis on chromosome 4ptel-4p16.1. Arch. Neurol. 65: 383-386, 2008. [PubMed:
18332252, related citations] [Full Text: HighWire Press]

Bear - I don't think keeping the body strong in an attempt to beat PLS is a foolish notion at all. Looking back, I suspect I've had symptoms for years. The most notable were two episodes where the muscles on my right side from the shoulder blade on down the leg seized up and would not relax requiring at least a week of flexeril (sp) and pain killers to gain relief, followed by physical therapy. I have always required more rest than the average person in order to function with any degree of efficiency.

I didn't develop permanently disabiling symptoms until after age 70 so consider myself lucky. As mentioned before, I believe it required the "perfect storm" of events to trigger PLS.

Thanks for posting that billbell. Very interesting.

I was told by my neurologist that the PLS is not known in any way to be hereditary. He said he not seen any research to prove it. I was also told by a neurologist at Ohio State University that he has never seen any research proving this. Hope this helps.

I'm very sorry to hear about your family situation. I'm 35 and had a very sudden onset at 33. Doctors thought it was all stress and anxiety up until I finally found a neuro who actually listened and tested and took me serious. I use a walker and lost my speech completely within months of onset. I currently use a iPad with speech app to "talk" and finally just got approved for social security. I too also have pseudobulbar affect that are very seizure like among many other symptoms. Others have said that it seems my version of PLS is severe and progressed fast. As for the hereditary component I'm unsure. However, my grandmother had strokes at young age and early onset Parkinson's and my mother also had early onset Alzheimer's. They both died in their 50s. Anything is possible as PLS is rare and perhaps they had it too and was unknown. I know it's hard not to worry about the future. But basically it's out of your control so live life to the fullest without regrets. I myself worry mine could progress to ALS as it's only been a couple years and I'm already so severe but then I remember to just breathe and try to enjoy life for each day.

Moonwolfy,

Although the cause of PLS is unknown it is thought to be distinct from ALS. It generally takes 4 years from onset to declare it PLS. PLS does not turn into ALS. It is possible to get a wrong diagnosis in the first 4 years. I was diagnosed with Bulbar PLS after 2 years. Bulbar ALS progresses rapidly so if I had that I was assured I would be on my death bed.

sjaza granny,

That study billbell posted is the first research I've seen looking at hereditary links for PLS. I know there isn't much supporting it, but I believe in rare instances it is true. Not a lot of resources are given to studying PLS and it doesn't surprise me that most neurologists would say there isn't a hereditary link. But what are the chances that my grandfather and mother would both spontaneously get it? Or that the Canadian family would have 8 members with PLS? I just think not enough research has been done. Unfortunately, because it's so rare, we're not likely to get a lot more answers.

Hi everyone this is the frist i have posted nice to talk everyone new here so please bare with me , i thought that this pls wasnt hereditary this is the frist i have heard it was, i have been told thats what i have is pls .i have 2 audlt children should i be concered for them?i have not told them what i have they think it is ms.thank you for everthing marylou.

Hi marylou, and welcome. How long have you been having symptoms and seeing doctors? Are your doctors certain it is PLS? It took several years for my mom to be properly diagnosed with it, so don't worry about things you don't have to yet. I wouldn't be concerned for your children though. Hereditary PLS is extremely rare- as you have read here and from your own experience, some doctors aren't even aware that it can be. In my family it is obvious because my mom's father had it, and she has it. If there are no other cases in your family, don't spend your time worrying that your PLS is genetic, it probably isn't!

I'm sorry you are going through this, but remember that every case of PLS is unique in the severity and progression of symptoms. I think my grandfather and mom's cases are quite extreme. I would be honest with your children though about your diagnosis. The more everyone educates themselves about PLS, the better they can help support and care for you. This is a good place to ask questions, everyone here is sadly familiar with this disease. We are here to listen, sympathize, and help any way we can. Stay strong!

i did not know PLS had a genetic link. my neurologist said mine is not genetic based. i do not want to alarm my 4 children and 9 grandchildren.
try not to think of the future. live in the present.

is there a study group near houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back