Status
Not open for further replies.
So much has gone on that I think I'm way behind in catching everyone up. Last weekend one son, his wife, three grands and two dogs visited. Friday night I had a nurse so all but Matt went out for a boat ride. 10 minutes out my DIL started having an anaphylactic reaction to something she drank and we had to rush back to the house and ended up calling an ambulance for her (after almost tossing her into my bed and stringing the nebulizer across Matt to her to start treatments on her). I picked her and my son up a couple of hours later.

On Saturday, while we were all out on the water and Matt was with the nurse, he had a nasty mucous plug. I found out when I got back to the dock and saw an ambulance in the driveway again. His nurse bagged him for 3 and a half hours (ambulance crew was out of their depth and the RT at the nearest hospital had to "think" about it before taking over). He cleared, but Xrays showed what looked like a large pneumonia, so we transferred to Duke (local hospital had no pulmonologist and Duke has the best transport around).

At Duke we started int he mICU because there were no beds in the pulmonary unit. After one doctor refused, we got another to do a bronchoscopy. They sucked a bunch of muck out and took fluids for culture, then moved us to the pulmonary floor. The next day the VA (right across the street) had a bed and they transferred us there for continuity of care, since Matt gets his long term care there.

We are now in the MICU at the Durham VA. Sometime last night he was switched from oral (tube) antibiotics to IV because the cultures done at Duke show a couple of nasty bugs. Now we wait a couple more days for the sensitivity tests to determine that we have the right antibiotic. They are talking about a pic line as he will need a longer course.

The has been exhausting, but the nursing agency that the VA pays for has sucked up the expense of sending nurses to relieve me in the hospital so that I can rest. I am SOOOOO fortunate.

Other progress that we've made: After three rounds of Ileus treated in hospitals since going on tube feeds I bought Liquid Hope myself, and it's fantastic. No more bloat, no more pain in his gut, no more diarrhea, and his bowels are moving on their own while laying down (we've had to suspend him in the sling for three months to even get liquid to squirt out of his backside). Yesterday he had 5 normal movements. His brother told him he was full of sh*$, and apparently he was right. The nutritionists are no on board and are working on getting insurance to cover it. The VA requires that we try another whole food version first, so we're pursuing both avenues.

The pulmonary folks are working on getting Matt a vest.

Endocrine is moving him back to the U500 insulin since he takes so very much (yeah!).

We are getting a prescription for Mucimist which is working very well in his nebulizer to thing the gunk.

And here's the coolest, even if short lived, thing:

Last night he had trouble breathing, so was bagged again for a few moments before he settled down. They did an EKG and his heart is fine and there was no muck in his chest, so they think maybe he had an anxiety attack. Shortly after, something shot down his right arm. He said it felt like a pressure cuff had been inflated. Right away, he was able to squeeze his left hand again. If we pick up the arm, he can wave the hand up and down. He can also move his left arm again. This is beyond weird, and I have no expectation that it will last long, but he was able to squeeze my hand again last night.

We are also able to leave his cuff down longer and he talks up a storm. Maybe having his lungs cleaned out is helping with that.

I've had a couple of breakdowns this past week, but they are very very short lived. It's like I just don't have the energy to cry, so after a moment it all drys up. I feel like a ping pong ball, but thee are so many blessings in all of this that I can only be grateful (when I'm not numb).

I've been told by several people that the first six months or so after being vented can be rough, but that if things settle down we may have more time. I still believe that that more time is coming, and the smile that lights up Matt's face more and more often now seems to validate that feeling.

Now, if only I could find an accessible motorhome to rent. One that has a lift and and a hospital bed in it. Wouldn't that be great? We could travel again. It's not going to happen, but a girl can dream.

Becky
Queen of the Merry Go Round

Wow, just Wow. You have been through heck and back. I’m happy to hear you are finding somethings that are working for Matt.

There is a really good chance that the whole food will help with the mucous plugs. I have found that most of the canned formulas are nothing but junk.

Look at you dreaming of a motor home with all the trappings to take care of Matt. I’d say it’d doable.

Anxiety attacks are something we deal with now and then.

Major hugs to you and I think you’re doing great!

Sue

Becky just wow indeed on all you have been through. I bet you could do that motor home!

Brian could suddenly tap his left foot again, where it all started with the drop foot. He can bring it all the way up and down now, no more drop foot. Mind you he still can’t do more than pivot transfer on his legs these days, maybe take a step or two and I imagine this too will go away again shortly.

Holy smokes, the merry go round just never stops, does it?
I was happy to see a round of posts from you in the last days. Thought you were surely busy although you surpassed my wildest expectations.

The strategy with the little breakdowns seems to work best, but the numbness part makes me worry for you. You already noted on the silver linings yourself, Matt having more of a twinkle in the eye and I'm wishing you LOTS of energy, lots of good help (Kudos to the 3-hour-bagging nurse!) and ongoing humor!

Becky, you have really been through the wringer in the past few months. Wishing you courage and strength. You are an amazing CALS.

V

Sounds like more of a boomerang than a ping-pong ball, Becky! Sheesh, I hope you can catch up on some rest while the nurses are there.

The motorhome sounds wonderful! I'd love to be able to travel with my PALS and not have to worry about what will be at the next stop, or even if we'd make it there. Just last week, I was thinking about that. Being able to drive somewhere and not worry about how/where I would get him to a bathroom. And having room for him to stretch out and lie down when he got tired. I think I'd finally get him to agree to travel! I actually looked on Craigslist and found some used church vans with lifts. For a moment, I thought about getting one and converting it to an accessible RV. But then I came back to earth and realized it would just be another of my many unfinished projects.

So hold that miracle hand of your hubby's and pack in all the squeezes you can. I'll be thinking about ya!

Becky, you really have been on a "merry-go-round" (the type from hell)! I'm so sorry for the continued stress for both of you, but I am happy for you that Matt seems to be taking this all in stride and glad that he has that twinkle in his eye! Enjoy that hand squeeze like CRAZY!!

If you have the finances, I think you could make the accessible motorhome a reality. It may take creativity from someone able to retrofit the motorhome, cut walls, etc. We don't have a motorhome, but we do have a wheelchair accessible van with ramp. I've taken Dave to FL and many short trips. Recently a week to the MD shore. It requires many phone calls, measurements, etc., and we have had to be VERY creative for bathroom use. I always travel with our portable lift and an 18" wide shower/commode chair. That chair has fit thru every door we have encountered in the US - including those in "historic" cottages. Our showers are adapted showers, utilizing many 100% cotton bath mats, a battery operated camp shower and tile floors! Our biggest adjustment is that we never go anywhere for less than 2 days and usually it is 3. It is just too taxing on me to schlep all the stuff in and out of the van for a one night stay! I won't say it is easy, but allowing Dave to enjoy travel and returning to places we both enjoy have made it well worth the effort. Love to you both!

Last edited:
If memory serves, one of our Larrys created an accessible motorhome, as he and his wife travel around volunteering. She has not progressed as far as Matt and is not vented.

I agree w/ Buckhorn that conceptually it is possible, and Google seems to agree that this category exists. As for accessible rentals, reportedly some are available on rvshare.

Hope Matt's infection passes soon and you see many more smiles, Becky!

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
I truly believe in the old adage "where there is a will, there is a way". So, if one has the finances and the will/strength/perserverance to make something happen AND in the case of PALS/CALS if both want to do something and have the finances to make it happen - go for it! You will NEVER regret it! I have toyed with the idea of taking Dave for one last trip to Kauai - our favorite place on earth and a place we have been to many times (17!)! I know I can't do this on my own for the simple reason of w/chair to airplane seat transfers. If I can some how enlist some friends to do the trip with us, then I am sure we could do it. I am just not sure of the emotional impact of going, as Kauai was our special place ......... we have been there many times and have done exhaustive hikes throughout the islands. IDK what I would feel like myself (if I put myself in Dave's shoes) to go there just to sit out on balconies and look at life from the shoreline ........ that was never our thing! That said, we have some young friends that may be up for the challenge if Dave wants to go. From the onset, Dave and I decided that we would not pursue miracle cures, etc. but rather we would pursue travel exploits as much as we can. We are both of the opinion that "you can die anywhere", so with ALS, there is kind of a weird freedom in not caring where this happens. I hope this doesn't come across wrong or too crass, but - we know ALS is ultimately a no-win situation, so our stategy has been a "full-steam ahead and damn the torpedos" mentality! ALS will take Dave's life and it will temporarily dampen my spirit but it will NOT take our lifeforce from us prematurely!!

Buckhorn, if you guys decide to make the trip, I'd imagine you could enlist some friends to join a trip to Kauai!

Couldn't you just ask Dave? Put a landscape pic in front of him and ask him if he is good with the memories or if he would benefit a great deal from seeing it in person again, or if there is another landscape he has been wanting to see, that is less familiar?

I admire your travelocity!

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie - that is a good idea! I may do just that - put a pic or two from our personal collection in front of Dave and ask him - "if I can make it happen, would you like to go again"? Being from the East Coast, it is an 11 hour trip of air time alone, necessitating at least one layover in Dallas/Ft. Worth, Chicago or LA. We've done trips to CA and then stayed overnight and gone on the next day. I'm sure that is what we would have to do in our case, as the trip is just too long to accomplish in one day now. Another landscape that we always wanted to see was Venice, IT, but that would be too taxing (& travel to another country - other than Canada) would be a bit beyound our comfort level now I think. TY for the encouragement!

Re Venice and other logistically implausible destinations,

It's not the same, but maybe sip an Italian beverage while viewing some of these full-screen on your TV...

As for others contemplating travel, just an unpaid commercial advertisement that summer in Seattle is beautiful and warm without mosquitos (one thing I do not miss about Houston)! I have attached a photo I took at Kubota Garden as evidence. :)

Attachments

• P1120321.jpeg
    P1120321.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 140
Hello again. Believe it or not, we are still at home!!

We ran out of Liquid Hope, so I did some blending and tried DiabeteSource on Matt again. The formula immediately made his stomach started to bloat. Last night we started getting pushback through the tube, so all the milk based formulas are in a stack by the door waiting to be picked up and donated to someone who can use them (our nursing agency does than and it's so easy...). The Liquid Hope arrived, and the VA is sending another whole food formula for us to try.

I think the antibiotics have finally turned the tide with Matt's infections. His blood sugar has dropped from the high 300's (and that's with the U500 insulin) back to great levels (actually had a 78 and it scared the hell out of me). The drop was immediate, not gradual. Wow.

Buckhorn, we think alike. I could have lost him years ago and I know that I will lose him, so if he goes out doing something he enjoys, I'm ok with that.
Matt's great fear now is suffocating. A couple rounds of air hunger and one mucous plug has convinced him that that is NOT how he wants to go.

All, about the motorhome idea. I wish we had considered that before buying the van we have now. It's a Dodge Ram ProMaster 2500 that has a VERY nice conversion. A large lift, leather interior, Tv in the back, etc. After paying for that one I'm just not going to do the motorhome. I'd LOVE to rent one, and I see some for rent, but I'd need a hospital bed in it and a ceiling lift/track. Sigh. The lack of available travel/lodging that is appropriate for our advanced PALS has me considering turning our home into an accessible B&B at some point in the future. If I can resist the urge to have everything even remotely connected to ALS removed immediately, I just may move myself upstairs and make the first floor available to people who really need the ceiling lift, hospital bed, space for family and access to the lake. Some days I think I'd like to do that, and other days I want to never think about ALS again when this is over. I think maybe I'll need a wee bit of a break....

Note to PALS---while you might want to go to a bar where everybody knows your name (Cheers reference for the young ones among us), it's not a good sign when you are greeted by name all the way up the hall when you are being wheeled through the hospital...

Oh, I contacted our local EMS yesterday. It seems that our county has professional crews covering most of the county, but we are in an area covered only by volunteers. Our county contracts with another county to provide ...(at this point my head was spinning). Long story short, the Chief in the area that dispatches to us agreed to put a sign in the dispatch area and a note in the computer to take Matt to our choice of local hospitals instead of the one they are normally required to take us to in an emergency. There was some hesitation until I told him that the RT at the hospital "needed to think about the situation" for 15 minutes before taking over bagging Matt from our home nurse who did it in the ambulance because the ambulance crew was out of their depth.

I couldn't get him to acknowledge that one ambulance crew might be better than another, but I do now know to ask that a paramedic be dispatched in addition to the EMT.

Off to print new signs to hang in the bedroom....

Oh, and my go bag is finally complete. Two pairs of yoga pants, 5 long sleeved knit tops because hospitals are cold, a weeks worth of undies and socks, toiletries, and a week's worth of my meds. I feel like I'm back in the Air Force on mobility. I even have a care plan for my dependent (our dog).

I love you all.

Becky

Are you rockin' it or what?!

I love your posts. It is madness but you seem to have a pretty firm hold on it. Now that your next hospital stay is completely pre-planned you hopefully won't have one. Like packing an umbrella only so much more work!

Thanks for the update Becky. Long may you stay out of the hospital. We all should have go bags I have one I learned my lesson from my hospital stay 2 years ago. And warm clothing is a definitely must. PALS should take some kind of throw or a shawl as they are quite likely to have an iv

You are an outstanding advocate among your many many talents and qualities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back