Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
VA
City
Richmond
Firstly, the good news: after 4 months of being stuck in bed all day, the ALS Foundation is sending a loaner powerchair. I am thrilled!

The thing is this. A lot of my progression all came on at once. So I have swallowing troubles, but I have not even eaten outside my home once yet, since it set in after I couldn't use my manual chair anymore. I realize with what has happened, this is going to be the start of a whole new lifestyle. Becoming a manual wheelchair user and a diabetic was too, and ultimately after a lot of learning those things came to feel normal. The complication is that it looks like the PWC is going to get here in time for me to go to a weekend event I am helping to run. If it does and I go, it will be a 3 day crash course on a few different levels.

So I come to you for advice. I will be stuck on a college campus that is pretty accessible for up to 13 hours at a time. I will have a new powerchair I am still learning to use. Are there particular tools or helpful items in case of trouble? How do you pack stuff on a powerchair, is there a place to clip on a bag?

I am on a level 3 dysphagia diet, and a diabetic. What kind of things would you pack to eat? At home, it is homemade smoothies and moist ground meats and things like that. Is there a particular kind of eatery that tends to have easy to eat options? The campus is very large with a huge variety. We also have a staff snack budget, and they are willing to stock anything for me that doesn't need refrigeration. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything else I should be stocking for long days out?

I am sorry to have so many questions, but this makes me feel like a newly disabled person all over again.

Am I crazy to even plan to go to something like this just days after getting a powerchair?

Last edited by a moderator:
After a few hours in the powerchair you'll be a pro. Mine has 4 speeds and I use setting 2 and about half way on the speed button for indoor use. Practice turning in circles in a hallway to get a feel for the size front to back. Practice going through doorways. Watch your feet because they'll probably stick out farther than the foot plates. I've smacked mine into doorways more than once. Hurts and being diabetic you don't want foot cuts and scrapes. I hang a back pack type bag over my head rest to carry stuff. Hope this helps.

AL.

Re: Powerchair advice

still waiting for my power chair so cannot advise but Sooooooooo happy you are out and about again. Lotsof fun be with you, friend
Irismarie

i had mine only a few days and then it didnt work. they took it to fix and havent heard back from them.

I've had my Permobil for a few months now, and as Al says; WATCH YER FEET! Thought I had broken all the bones in my foot one day when my shoe dug in going over a threshold.
Yep, you need to learn your turn limits, etc. I still whack a door frame every once in awhile. As far as out in public with it this soon after getting it, just be very careful, takes a deft touch on the joystick.

I have the hard backpack that came with my Permobil, and a canvas bag slung over the left arm. I have to have someone get my backpack for me, so the things I need all the time are in the side bag. Be aware of weight limitations also. The Permobil chair I have is 400#, and I'm another 185#, so almost 600#. It can really make wood floors creak. The ramp I have is only rated to 500#, so me going up and down it makes it groan some too. I'm hoping it has some safety factor built into the weight rating.

I don't know what chair you are getting, but my Permobil is a front drive chair. I have an old Invacare Pronto that is mid -drive, and it will turn around in it's own radius. A front drive chair will not. Also, I have nearly tipped over frontwards a time or two. If I live long enough to need another chair, it WILL be a mid-drive, such as a Quantum. If you have to go down a steep slope and you feel like the chair is going to go over frontwards, back up to level ground, turn around and back down the slope. Another thing that helps, if you have a reclining seat, is to recline backwards, it shifts your weight back over the batteries, and you won't tip over forwards. If you are getting it from the ALS closet, it could be anything. Good luck.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be a pro in a week.

Perry

Now this is what I want, thanks to Dixie (Garry Lee) for the link. This is what he has for getting around his place and as I live on an acreage with lots of tree roots, rocks and bumps it would be perfect for me too. This model is manufactured in Australia and I don't know if it is available in North America.

YouTube- Extreme X8

No good for inside but then I don't wear the my outside boots inside either!

That's wonderful that you are getting a nice power chair and will be able to get out again after all this time. I too have a loaner chair (actually 2 I am embarrassed to say) and am using it more and more to get around.

One thing I will mention is that transporting these big chairs is a challenge in itself, so hopefully you have some arrangements made. I haven't had much experience yet trying to take one into the bathroom, I am able to walk short distances so I park outside and walk in. Actually I did use the bathrooms at the airport where they had special WC accessible ones, and they were nice. I especially liked the one which had a metal surface on the door so I could just bash into it to open it.

Mine has clips on the back for a carry bag but as Perry says it is not accessible from in the chair.

I do find that I feel bumps and rough road much more than I expected. Rolling on sidewalks I often get seasick from the ups and downs.

As far as meals, I have to be a little careful about what I eat but it's not too bad. I do OK with burgers, I take them apart and eat the patty with ketchup and it is nice and moist.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time!

i never got to use my loaner pwc and now MDA is telling me that i have to pay for repairs. that i exceeded the 500 a year limit for repair. it never even work. i dont know where they expect me to get money to pay. why dont they tell you ahead of time that you have to pay. they offer me the chair and im grateful but i cant pay.

I got a loaner powerchair last week and so far it's banged up my house. It tried to get the dishwasher off its mounting by about 2 inches and dented the stove. It demolished a wicker wastebasket with its contents. It tried to get a row of kitchen cabinets off the wall. Otherwise it's just great. I only use it indoors in 2 rooms but boy is it cantankerous. I picked it because the bottom is red. It's all bashed up before me and won't go straight. I admit I'm no good with a joystick, but...and it reeks of cigarette smoke. I'm dickering with the pride mobility people again but I just don't think it's worth getting a big expensive one even if Medicare pays, because I only need it indoors. And with Amy, my little girl, coming to live with me on April 15, maybe I won't need to cook and clean. I don't know!
Carol

Carol, I'm smiling with you... in total sympathy. When I moved a full freezer accidentally, and moved it back accidentally the next day I realized how much power was dangerously in my hand. "It tried to get the dishwasher off its mounting" never worked for me. I had to always fess up, as much as I tried to blame "it", lol. However, if your chair won't go straight, that is serious. I had a small wheelchair in the house next door and did a lot of damage to woodwork, but couldn't get through the bathroom doors. When the big chair arrived we moved here, where there's more room, so I got to mess up another house. Now in my third chair, which I own, I rarely have trouble... but I could do some spectacular damage if I didn't pay attention. Hint...if you need to stay in the chair all day, you will need all the functions that only the big ones offer, such as tilt, recline, raise legs, elevate seat. Please don't rule out that because you're staying inside.

It arrived with a week to spare and it is wonderful! It fits like it was ordered for me and is a lot fancier than my insurance will pay for. I thought I would be stuck bussing, but with a cable winch and a lot of fiddling we can get it in my Dad's SUV. I went to the convention, and so far everything is going very well. Thank you all for the encouragement.

Eating was more challenging. I made my calorie count, but it was rough. That will take more learning. Tomorrow I am bringing a hot thermos full of horseradish mashed beans and potatoes.

Beky, I'm glad to hear your chair is working out so well and that you are able to transport it. That's really important.

Barry, the chair you linked to really looks amazing and has overcome some of the problems I've seen in other all-terrain chairs. If I did the math right, its 710 mm width will be accommodated by the ramp of a wheelchair van too. Let us know if you find out if it is available in N. America please.

-John

I would be interested in knowing how much the X8 Extreme costs, not that it matters cause it will never happen for me but I'm curious. It sure looks like the ultimate outdoor wheelchair though.

Well to answer my own question, I looked at the order form and the base is about 15 grand w/o batteries or seat so the price could be up to double that depending on all of the options. I don't have a chair so I don't understand all of the options but that price seems comparable to what has been discussed.

If money were no object I would get one of these for getting out into the bush around here. I have an ATV but my left foot can't lift the shift lever, my arms can't turn the handlebars, and my thumb can't work the throttle so there it and I sit.

No place for Chewey though John, you would have to mount a platform for him or he could ride on your lap.

Hi every one.

I am fortunate that my 4 wheel electric chair was provided by our states mnd association at no charge.

I have provided information below to the site in USA.

Garry Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back