Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an NCS (nerve conduction study) and is used to test the ability of the nerves to conduct electrical impulses. It is often done in conjunction with an EMG (also called a needle EMG because it uses a needle stuck into the muscle being tested.) I am not a doctor but I believe the stimulus intensity is greatly adjustable in an NCS and the doctor or technician should have been able to lower the stimulus intensity to complete the test, so that sounds a little weird.

they took a needle like electrode device and it sent elctric like shocks into my foot with this test (that came out unclonclusive do to pain/reflex being so extream) i have also had the test with stikher like wires on my head (that came out normal) and normal MRI with/without contrast.

I thought, that people came here for support?

yes they do. and information as well. they do not, however, come here for dorm room after hours bull sessions.

i'm one of the better off ones here. i have the use of one hand and can walk a little. many have a lot worse issues ... a LOT worse things to deal with. At present you don't and hopefully and according to your reciting of symptons..you won't.

I would however opine that to puff and bluster and call folks 'rude' for not playing along will get you a D- in diplomacy and an F around here.

If you want a dialogue, enter into one...a monologue involves one person and that is where we are with you.

AND I might add, that if you are 8 years into this as you say in your opening lines, and you are still trying to figure stuff out, then you are way past the top 10% survivalists who make it to 5 years. Comprende amigo?

the "shock" like sensation from the test gave the same feeling/pain sensation, that i naturally get. The doc. did try many times to continue the test (not sure if he turned the power down or not), because the pain continued to be intense!

LEsh, a medical electrode is a patch that sticks to the skin, not "a needle like electrode device", so I still don't know what test you're talking about. An NCS test starts with a very mild shock, then proceeds in stages up to the point where your foot (hand, etc.) flies around uncontrollably. A needle EMG feels like a needle being inserted deep into your muscle. They are not similar.

yes they do. and information as well. they do not, however, come here for dorm room after hours bull sessions.

Listen....I'm not pulling "ANYONE's" chain and I'm not running any Bull!
Though I may not have text book symptoms "Amego" this , does NOT mean I'm here playing games and/or making things up! I'm a 42 yr. old single mother of 4 kids. My kids only have me, as we lost there father in 2008. Of corse I want to know what is wrong with me (My kids need me and depend on me) And no , I don't want it to be ALS .....However, I am being tested for it by a Specilist (at Cleveland Clinic) to rule it in or out. I'm sorry, that you have ALS and I'm also sorry that you find it necessary to assume things about me, as you are. I wish you nothing but the best and I will Pray for you!

Dusty7
I have no idea what the nero. called the test, but it almost looked like a digetal thermometor that was hooked to a hand held box ( had 2 knobs on it)

maybe if you are so worried about your health, you should know what tests were performed and what the results meant.

BTW, after 8 years--highly doubt it is ALS--you would most likely be dead already.

This forum is a support group for REAL PALS and CALS--they kindly answer questions from people who wonder about ALS, like you did. unfortunately, most of those wonderers like you wear out their welcome. In other words, while you have some troubling symptoms, this is not the place for you. Good luck trying to figure it out and I hope you succeed. We are not doctors.

Thank you for respondind and not being rude (like some have been) This place has not been very Welcoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back