Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Albany
I posted 2 years ago. I will sum things up again. I need some support or advice.

March 2011
-Nerve pain in feet and hands developed when pregnant
-Had normal induced birth due to blood pressure rise
-Nerve pain continued and only happened with motion

January 2012
-Freaked out I had ALS or something similar. Severe anxiety started. I've always had health anxiety for about the past 8 years.
-Went to neuro. He ran all tests. Did nerve test and emg. All normal and the nerves performed better than normal according to him. Said peripheral neuropathy I guess just based on what I told him.
-Just dealt with things and tried to ignore it.
-The nerve pain in the hands and feet went away and/or substantially subsided.

November 2012
-My mom (52) went in the hospital for liver chorosis. I started having a buzzing sensation in both feet and calves that is constant. I still have this today. She passed away a few days after Christmas. Emotions have been horrible and anxiety very hightened ever since.

January 2013
-Yearly neuro checkup. All looked normal to him. MRI of brain done again. Normal. Told him about the buzzing/vibration and he wasn't concerned.

February 2014
-Shooting nerve pain in right foot when extended and twisted. Buzzing continues. Can feel it in my hands when I'm really worked up.

-Ankle pain in the same foot and nerve pain off and on.

I sleep terribly. Haven't slept 8 consecutive hours in 3 years.
-Went for neuro check up because my anxiety was so high. All was normal. Reflexes in knees overactive possibly from anxiety.

I'm having a VERY hard time accepting that I don't know what has caused the nerve pain from pregnancy. I constantly think this is ALS and I'm going to be taken away from my family and 2 year old daughter. Neuro said if it was something bad I would've had more symptoms by now.

Thoughts, advice, please?!? My worry about ALS has gone on for 2+ years and I can't stop.

Thank you for your time!

Our beloved member, Richard Charlton, in one of his very last posts, replied to you two years ago.Same answer applies today. Please see your GP for a complete physical and a thorough post partum evaluation. Keep in mind, many women ( my sister included) are plagued with life long ( my nephew is 50) nerve pain following a pregnancy. If you had ALS, you would likely be unable to hold your baby in your arms, change the nappy or hold a story book.

" Numbness, tingling,stiffness and the pain you describe are NOT symptoms of ALS.

ALS symptoms do not come and go.

Please read the stickies at the beginning of this section to get some additional section.

Try focusing all your thoughts and energy on your beautiful baby.

You may be experiencing some symptoms of post partum depression. Please speak to someone about this.

Don't let your anxiety ruin one of the most magical times of your life.

Take care".

I'm not a Doctor, but my guess is No you don't have ALS.

Listen to your neuro....

Listen to the guy who replied to you 2 years ago...

Thank you, Elaine. You made me tear up. I'm very sorry I haven't stuck with his last post to me.

"Don't let your anxiety ruin one of the most magical times of your life."

It has totally been ruining everything. I have worried about the nerve pain SO long. My mind has taken over my body. My mother was the one who would talk me down when I had so many problems. Taking care of her to the very end was a blessing from God. I miss her everyday. I'm sure she is looking down on me from Heaven telling me to stop worrying and live my life.

I have idiopathic nerve pain. I just have to live with it and accept I may never know why.

Thank you, Lots of love to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back