Diagnosis
08/2012
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Trenton
This is my first posting. My wife was diagnosed with ALS on 8/31/12. We were immediately connected with the ALS Clinic at Pennsylvania Hospital which has been outstanding. So even though we are just beginning this journey and my wife can still walk with a walker, as her caregiver I am being eaten alive by anxiety. I am seeing a therapist and an MD psychiatrist for meds which have not yet fully kicked in. I feel a tremendous responsibility to stay well for her sake, yet I haven't been able to quell the anxiety in the three months since her diagnosis. I feel guilty talking about myself and my problems when my wife has such a good attitude. We are in a better position than a lot of others in that I am retired and available to take care of her, our children are grown, our insurance is good and we have a support system. Still the anxiety remains. I welcome any comments (including "Stop being a crybaby") and suggestions...your own experiences with this and how to deal with it. Thank you all in advance.

The anxiety will never completely go away but you will adjust to your new normal. Belonging to this group is a good first step. We are here to help and listen.

it's a scary journey for both of you. take a breath. you have found a great place to ask questions, whine cry and believe it or not laugh and hope. welcome

glad you are speaking with a therapist and psychiatrist. it's overwhelming. you do, somehow, begin to live 'normally' with this - but it's so shocking in the beginning. the caregivers here are great in answering questions. and, yes, although you say you're in a better position than most - you're still allowed to be angry at how your life is now changed and your retirement dreams need to be adjusted. welcome. glad you found your way here.

Hi! Welcome to this forum. So sorry though for your reason to be here. But, you will find alot of support and friendship on here. I see both a counselor and a psychiatrist to help me deal with my anxiety over my dad having ALS. I suffer from severe depression though anyway. I'm not sure how long you've been on your medicine but they say they take at least two weeks to even start to get in one's system. Also, one type doesn't work for all. None of us would ever dare call you a crybaby for what you are going through. What you are feeling is natural because you love your wife so much. We are going to help you the best we can on here. We will cry and even laugh with you on here. I get comfort on here knowing I'm not alone and that others understand and care about my feelings. They also have great advice on what time of equipment to get etc. You will experience many different emotions with this disease including anger. Boy, did I have the anger! But, we are hear if you need to vent. Have hope too because they are making new breakthroughs everyday in fighting this disease. Sending you a hug, Kim

Thank you all for your kind and welcoming remarks. I have only been on the antidepressant for a week. It's one I've been on before, and it helped me then. I do know the conventional wisdom says two to three weeks for full effect, so I am hopeful. I will no doubt post some questions soon, but for now I say, "Thanks".

Welcome to the forums. Its okey to be a crybaby once in awhile. Relieves a little stress. Your meds should kick in soon. But you are new to the diagnosis. It takes a while to adjust (if you ever really adjust). Its hard..and not just for the pals. For the cals to. No one wants to be either one. Just know someone will be here. Will try to answer your questions. Will cry with you and understand exactly what your going through...and believe it or not...we will laugh with you.

You may want to get a script for Zanax too

Thanks, Sadiemae. I did not mention that I also take Clonazepam(Klonopin) in small doses to help with my anxiety.

I'm with sadiemae--Xanax. Works better than Clonazepam. Just my humble opinion. It's only "normal" to experience anxiety, when one is anticipating what the next change will be, and when it will happen. Great responses from everyone too! Sometimes it's helpful to just come on here, and express what you're feeling. Everyone gets it. Good luck,

Laura

It's been 8 days since I originally posted this. So now I'm another week along with meds and no reduction in anxiety. It's starting to feel crippling in ways. So I just wondered if anyone has any advice on how long it took them to reach the new "normal" or what to expect. I am afraid that I might "crack up" and not be available to my wife. Thanks to all.

You may just need to try a different med. They all work differently for different people and the one your on might not be the one you need. Talk to your doctor. They know this.

Thanks, vzandt. I will follow your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back