10/2023
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York City
Hi Everyone,

I would be grateful for your thoughts on on some symptoms. Long story short, Over the course of the past 6 weeks I was seen at Columbia's ALS center and received a second opinion at the Healy Center at Mass General. The consensus of the doctors at both facilities was to give me a "working" diagnosis of ALS and start me on the 3 FDA approved medications.

I presented with left leg spasticity and clonus and the EMG findings were only in that leg. I received the working diagnosis of ALS once the vast majority of other possible diagnoses were ruled out. There are still a few tests outstanding but not many. I suppose there is a chance this turns out to be something else but I'm now fully enrolled in the ALS multidisciplinary clinic and titrating up the meds etc. At some point I will need another EMG to confirm spread but the docs think it is a bit early for that.

My very first symptoms, even before the leg symptoms, were as follows. A few times each day I would get what I called a "power outage". I would get hot, flushed, and clammy, and very tired. These episodes would last from a few minutes to about an hour. Once I started checking my temperatures I realized that these were frequently accompanied by low grade temps - in the 99s.

These episodes continue every day and appear to be increasing in frequency. I feel quite well when they aren't occuring and quite miserable when they are.

One of my docs says he's seen something like this on very rare occasions and thinks it might be ALS associated autonomic dysfunction. But he isn't sure.

Do you have any wisdom or thoughts about these events?

Thank you in advance and my apologies for the length of this post.

Jeremy

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and we'll support you however we can.

Yes, autonomic dysfunction is increasingly recognized as part of ALS. As this small study suggests, an ultrasound of your vagus nerve at the level of the thyroid gland may confirm atrophy. Your episodes sound like a kind of "vagal reflex." It's kind of like your fight-or-flight reflex is being triggered when you don't need it.

The next time an episode begins, try consciously tightening muscles in your arms/hand, legs/feet --whatever is easiest or has the best result. This may counteract the reflex.

You may also be able to reduce the episodes by paying attention to what you eat and how you move. My guess is that smaller, more frequent meals/snacks/liquids and not staying in any one position too long may help.

You can capture heart rate/sat data before, after and during the episodes with a pulse oximeter, Fitbit, smart watch, or sports watch, and depending on the numbers, that might provide justify considering medication to reduce the impact of the misfiring nerve (if that's the case) or fitting you with a 24-hour BP/rhythm monitor to see what might work best. There are also home monitors you can wear during sleep, available on Amazon etc.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this information and these ideas. I will try everything you suggest and am grateful. Jeremy

I had power outages for a number of years before I was diagnosed but since I was diagnosed 16 months ago no more power outage.

I chose not to take any medications as I heard side effects could be bad. Extending my life for three months what I was hoping for was a med to shorten my life by three months. I know other who have als who took meds and disease has progressed faster. There is nothing that makes sense with ALS.

My advice prepare yourself and home asap. Make sure you can get out of your house. Put your order in for power wheelchair make adjustments in your house get a toilet/shower chair and start searching for some good help. Plus get your life in order update your will and sell assets to raise cash reserves.

Hello Bob, what do you mean " Power outages " that's a term I have not heard before referring to als

Hi Cowboybob and thank you for taking the time to share your advice. I am grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back