Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dani sent you a PM hope i've done it right x Ang

Dani,

You, Laurence and Stan have been in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad that Laurence is doing okay, and actually seems to be improving in the area of breathing. I'm also glad the cough assist is working well for you. Terry had skin issues, too. No bedsores or break downs, just rashes. Ketoconozole really helped him. We used a cream for his skin, shampoo and a zinc bar for bathing. Worked wonders. I hope your doctor hits on the right combination for Laurence.

Take care -

Hope hospice can get the package together very soon and L can come home. I'm glad he seems to be responding positively to the efforts made by hospice team. Good luck to y'all.

Dani so happy that things are settling down some for you all. I know you are worn out with all you do, and a wee one...God Bless

Hi Dani,

This idea is based on a complete lack of experience but might be worth consideration. On the "Shortness of breath" thread under the "People with ALS" forum, Marypat recommends Mucinex for helping with decongestion. A summary of user reviews of the drug (OTC in the US), makes it sound like an remarkably effective decongestant. The active ingredient is guafenesin.

Mucinex is available at Amazon UK but for some reason costs 3x as much as in the US.

Best wishes for you all,

John

Hi All,

It looks like Laurence will be coming home next Monday. He has been in for 5 weeks. He is now established on his PEG feeds, although he can still eat some food by mouth. We haven't got a full care package in place, there are gaps, but are hoping that the agency we are using will fill them once their recruitment and checks are over.

Laurence's breathing leveled out a bit too. We were able to make a few trips outside (coffee shop, park yesterday with Stan etc.) and he has coped ok. He has been given a more portable vent/bipap, with an external battery, so hopefully we can continue to do family things once he is out. Hospice also started to sort out 3 different skin complaints, with good success.

Overall, hospice staff have been kind and helpful. But they truly are dealing with death and dying, rather than simply pain management. I have seen 7 people die since he has been in. People I used to stop and have chats with. They were mostly cancer patients, who are given morphine (pain relief), who then sleep a lot, gradually change colour from pink to white to grey to this particular green, before passing away. I found this quite upsetting, especially as I am frequently visiting with a young child.

Laurence had some ups and downs, but he is very pleased to be coming home. I am grateful for all the help they provided. I am hoping spring is here soon - it has been one long and tough winter.

Dani

I'm so happy that Laurence will be coming home soon.

Thanks for the update, Dani. It must feel great that Laurence will be home again soon. And yes, I hope spring comes soon so that you can all go out and do things together. Take care. Yasmin.

Glad they have helped Lawrence with his issues and there is light at the end of the tunnel. xx Ang

I'm so happy for you all to hear he will be coming home soon. That is wonderful news!

Happy to hear Hubby will be comming home soon, that is great news.

Dani, I hope it is a wonderful green spring for y'all! That's great that things are leveling out and he can come home!

What good news Dani!

Still thinking about all three of you. So glad Laurence is going to be coming home soon!

So glad to hear that he is coming home to you and your little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back