Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Portland
Hi, I've finally joined after lurking for a few months to get lots of useful information and inspiration.

My husband Douglas was diagnosed with ALS in May 2015. His arms and hands were affected first and are now mostly useless. He's now having trouble swallowing and talking and had a PEG tube placed last month. He still eats for pleasure but gets most of his nutrition through the tube. Douglas can still walk, although that's very tiring; we have a power wheelchair from the local ALSA loan closet and are working on getting one that he'll be able to operate when his hands no longer work. His breathing is still fine, but he's been using a CPAP machine for a few years for sleep apnea; I hope that will make getting used to a BIPAP easy for him.

Douglas and I are both 62. I retired a year ago hoping to spend my time on fiber arts, particularly weaving and spinning, but it's been very valuable to have the time and money to spend on Douglas and preparations for the progression of his ALS.

We're very fortunate to have access to a truly exceptional ALS clinic, extremely helpful local ALS Assocation, and loving family and friends. Douglas appreciates all I do for him and is horrified that's not true of all PALS and CALS.

Thanks for all the help you've already given us; I hope to return the favor.

Janis

Welcome Janis, I wish you didn't have to become part of the family, but I'm glad you have registered and said hi. You can get information by lurking here, but not true support which you can get now. You will also find you have more to give back than you may imagine.

I would just say that CPap is not at all good for PALS, please get this changed to a BPap asap. His breathing may be fine, but he should not be using a CPap (I realise he was already using it before ALS).

Feel free to join in any discussions that are relevant for you.

Your husband sounds like a gem, it always lifts my heart :)

Hi Janis,
Welcome to you both to this wonderful family, this group will certainly help make your ALS journey easier.
Live Gem

Hello Janis,

I too only recently came out of the lurkers' closet!
Welcome to you both.

Ells.

Hi Janis
Welcome but sorry
Look forward to hearing more from you. You already made me laugh with your dye room srory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back