Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
For starters, he’s not blue at all. It’s a white person on a Royal Blue background.

The ubiquitous if incorrectly named Little Blue Man is a friend indeed, and unless you have need of his services you may not fully realise his prevalence. It’s like buying a car: once you settle on a particular model they suddenly seem to be everywhere! There are thousands upon thousands of Little Blue Men; in fact I suspect he might actually be the mythical ‘Common Man’, simply because there are so many of him. He is nigh-on omnipresent; and every Little Blue Man is a gift. They are personal invitations, carefully placed by anonymous civil servants with me in mind. They beckon welcomingly, trail markers on my journey. While the greater horde of (unwashed) pedestrian humanity contends with crowded steps and busy footpaths; I have a VIP pass to priority parking and purpose-built ramps. I have been lifted from the nameless throng; appointed to a path of privilege. An un-numbered host of beacons confidently declare their message: "Roderick Allen! Welcome! We have been awaiting your arrival, we are here to serve!"

As an apprentice carpenter I was regaled with tales from ageing Public Service tradesmen about extraordinary behind-the-scenes preparations for the visit of Queen Elizabeth in the early 70's. Touring Australia to open the Sydney Opera House, the Majestic Itinerary was extensive. Public buildings were renovated, so the old chippies claimed, in the most exclusive manner. Only the corridors down which the Imperial Feet were scheduled to walk needed painting; and on each such corridor one single loo was completely refurbished in readiness for the Royal Flush. While my crowd-drawing capacity may not quite rival Her Majesty’s personal magnetism, I still I know exactly how she felt. Everywhere I go I am spoiled with the best of everything. I enjoy reserved seating on every bus; neat little private lifts on train stations; and (best of all!) my own private washrooms across the nation which are invariably clean, spacious and elegantly appointed. As a member of the Royal Family, the path marked out for me by Little Blue Men attracts an entirely elevated level of courtesy and cheerfulness from each person I meet. Nothing is a problem; everyone – civil servant and commoner alike – stands ready to help with a generous smile.

But it wasn't always so. This innocuous blue and white cameo once intimidated me in a way that nothing has since great big enormous high school kids scared the freckles of my primary school face. When we moved house just over a year ago an Occupational Therapist provided us with a list of features to look for. Things like wide corridors, no steps, good doorways, and other details that were essentially about wheelchair access. But I had no wheelchair, and I wouldn't for the next six months. In those days I was deeply troubled by the Little Blue Man. I turned involuntarily away when he came into my field of vision, and the idea that I might one day need his company was fearful and bewildering.

Isn't it true that the thing from which we cower will often make us rich; and that which we covet sometimes disappoints? This transformation from fear to favour is something I have noticed now and then through the years; and have finally begun to comprehend. Apprehensions prove unfounded, and possessions unrewarding. In the taciturn, convoluted passage of life I see a Grand Design. Many things have not gone the way I might have wished, and yet time and again I have stood back to marvel at the outcome. St Paul put it this way: "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose". I believe that implicitly; and yet I’ve often found it the core of my unbelief.

The Little Blue Man makes a colourful tale, but it’s flawed. For one thing it’s a singularly self-centred story. As any adult must learn the fruitfulness of life is not concerned simply with me; it’s about us: my family, friends, community, church. The ups and downs of my life are part of a far bigger picture and the “good” that St Paul speaks about is often seen only from a higher vantage point. My story also lacks candour; after all I don’t regard my dependence on Bugger (et al) as the best thing in the world that could have happened. But I do think that the human ability to know what’s best could well be the most overstated thing in the world.

The Little Blue Man has one more lesson to teach. He is ahead of me on the road; he’s waiting down the track. I don’t know when I will find him next, but I’m pretty sure he will be there when I need him. And that’s good news, because tomorrow I am catching a train!

Rejoice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rodrick,

I agree that a wonderful job has been done to provide disabled facilities e.g. car parks, toilets etc in our community. However, I have been bitterly disappointed by the people who abuse these services. I remember at a large shopping centre waiting quite desperately as my husband needed the disabled toilet only for a very healthy looking lady in tight white jeans to emerge. She had saved herself the queue at the general public toilet. Then people, quite able bodied alighting from cars parked in the disabled spots and we had to struggle with the tight ordinary spots way back from the shops. We have a friend who says they shouldn't have an excuse to park there as "ignorance is not a disability". Thanks Chris

Very good point, Roderick, that the face does change as we need more or accept our need more. Your belief that we don't really have the ability to know what's best for us is one I share... along with the desire to still want whatever seems best. It's always a huge relief when our view of things does change and comes into sync with what is real.

As always, your post is creative and layered, and so interesting to read. Thank you. And safe travels on that train!
Blessings,
Ann

Roderick,

That was another wonderful, insightful essay!

Thank you!

roderick . . Thank you for that . .always enjoy your sunday post. . . I used to help my wheelchair bound father(stroke) get around . . At first he was at odds with himself as to weather or not make use of the little Blue man signs almost as if he was still not accepting his situation . . Soon changed when he saw badgeless able bodied people parked in the space or using the toilets . . Cant talk for the u.s or australia but here in england people are terrible for it . .

Hi Rodrick,

I agree that a wonderful job has been done to provide disabled facilities e.g. car parks, toilets etc in our community. However, I have been bitterly disappointed by the people who abuse these services. I remember at a large shopping centre waiting quite desperately as my husband needed the disabled toilet only for a very healthy looking lady in tight white jeans to emerge. She had saved herself the queue at the general public toilet. Then people, quite able bodied alighting from cars parked in the disabled spots and we had to struggle with the tight ordinary spots way back from the shops. We have a friend who says they shouldn't have an excuse to park there as "ignorance is not a disability". Thanks Chris

Hello Chris,
You make a good point, as did Alex. I must admit that when I was still driving I was very aware of cars in dissabled parking spots without the 'sticker'. It does make one's blood boil! I heard a detective from Scotland Yard on the radio once who said that the English police routinely check on people who violate disabled parking restrictions when they are searching for wanted criminals. Apparently that's a good place to find them! We live in the country, and it's rarely a problem, the parking and other facilities are generous and in my experience pretty well always available and properly used. I hear it's very different in Sydney and Melbourne though.

KBO!

Hi Roderick,

I really liked that bit about Scotland yard searching for criminals in violated disabled car spots! I also hate to generalise but think you are right about the difference between city and country in attitude.

On another note I agree it is hard to get used to being a consumer of disabled facilities, it is a real mind shift and for us a very rapid adjustment. In Jan 09 Shane was driving, going to work everything. In April we got our manual wheelchair and by Sept it was not safe to attempt walking. So you have to keep re evaluating your self perception and your way about living your life. I remember going to a clinic appointment in October and seeing slings in the physio gym and thinking wow how bad would that be and surely that won't be us or at least for a long time and by Jan I was ringing the company to hurry up and install the ceiling hoist because we could not manage without it. Its like at one stage you think this is not good, but I can make adjustments and work out how to do things differently and then that gets all turned on its ear as the next change happens and you have to re work how you do things all over again. In Japan I've heard they have a train called the "Silver Bullet". Riding on that train is a bit like what als has been for us.

Cheers Chris

Very good point, Roderick, that the face does change as we need more or accept our need more. Your belief that we don't really have the ability to know what's best for us is one I share... along with the desire to still want whatever seems best. It's always a huge relief when our view of things does change and comes into sync with what is real.

As always, your post is creative and layered, and so interesting to read. Thank you. And safe travels on that train!
Blessings,
Ann

I'm on the train! Just waiting to pull out of the station at 11.15pm. Biggest trip yet, six days and many miles ahead.

Thanks Roderick. The little blue man tag hanging from my rear view mirror is a small bright spot - it is nice to be able to take evryone with me to the front row. Wishing you well on your train adventure. Tom

Hi Roderick, I enjoyed your post. Before ALS I never paid much attention to the little blue man parking,
but now that we have to use it I ask my wife, have you ever seen so many disable people.
Yes it is impossible to find a little blue man spot. We just have to wait till one is open.
GOD speed and have a safe trip.

Hi Roderick, I enjoyed your post. Before ALS I never paid much attention to the little blue man parking,
but now that we have to use it I ask my wife, have you ever seen so many disable people.
Yes it is impossible to find a little blue man spot. We just have to wait till one is open.
GOD speed and have a safe trip.

Hello Wayne & Sue,

I liked those words, "GOD speed". What a great thought for today as I'm waiting between trains. I hope things are well for you.
Blessings,
R.

Thanks Roderick. The little blue man tag hanging from my rear view mirror is a small bright spot - it is nice to be able to take evryone with me to the front row. Wishing you well on your train adventure. Tom

I feel the same way Tom! Now and then the Little Blue Man opens doors for family and friends alike. It's very validating, quite exciting.
God Bless,
R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back