Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
Hi everyone-

Thank you for taking the time to read what I am about to write.
I lost my grandmother to ALS in 2021. She was the only person to have this disease in my family and it all happened very suddenly.

Well fast forward to two months ago. I began experiencing a lot of weird symptoms out of the blue one day while taking care of my daughter.
It started with severe dizziness and feeling "off", ear ringing, stumbling and a feeling of impending doom. A week later, I started to feel a bit better and went to get Botox for my migraines and some in my forehead. Had a weird reaction and had to get a steroid injection.
Three days later, the "off feeling returned, and the doom felt along with ripping abdominal pain. A week later, after some tests, doctors said I had Giardia.
So I was prescribed Giardia meds- 4 tablets of Tinidazole to take at once.

That night I was in excruciating pain from head to toe. I felt like there were knives in every nerve of my body.
Fast forward three days from that and I began having right arm and hand weakness and left leg weakness. I also developed twitching all over. My calves, thighs, hands, face, back, arms, butt, you name it. My hands lost a lot of fat in them and my tendons on the tops of both hands are very apparent. At 30, I have hands that look emaciated (attached pictures).
Shortly thereafter I also developed a tremor and my PCP sent me to the neurologist.

Tests I had done:
MRI of my brain- came back fine
EMG and Nerve Conduction Study- came back fine after testing all four limbs
Clinical strength study in office- Came back fine
Creatinine Kinase to test for muscle breakdown- Came back normal

But I am worried I took the test too soon and that I have symptoms, but that there just isn't severe enough nerve damage yet and therefore a false negative.

Fast forward two weeks later to today:

I have difficulty swallowing (feels like a baseball is stuck in my throat), people notice me slurring words, and still have all the bodily twitches. My back and neck are so stiff too, along with my right hand. I am dropping things more and tripping on my left foot.

I am afraid I have some rapid sudden onset ALS from medicine or from who knows what. I don't feel satisfied with my EMG results, and I worry 24/7.
My grandmother had lower neuron ALS to start with in her left leg.

Does anyone have a story like this?
I feel with all these symptoms, something would have shown up on the EMG.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry about your grandmother, but this doesn't sound at all like ALS. It sounds more like anxiety following an infection, which the evidence supports. Your internist is the first port of call, to make sure the infection has resolved, and to track your issues, perhaps augmented by counseling to reduce your anxiety.

I removed your photos because they are not helpful and are distressing for some.

Last edited:
Thank you Igelb for your reply. I am currently on an antidepressant and Ativan for anxiety. We have run every test in the book and the Giardia has resolved.
I am sorry about the photos- I did not know they would be distressing. I am just nervous they show atrophy, so I wanted to post them. Again, I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back