Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sacramento
Hello,

I have read a number of posts here and have a few questions I am hoping to get some help with.

My situation is this: About a week ago I started getting twitches in my left leg (thigh, quad, calf, foot). They come and go and are usually worse (more noticeable?) when I am not doing something. My leg also felt "light" or "jumpy" but not really "weak". I can still do all exercises (calf raises, squats, etc) without issue.

A couple days later, they have moved to all over my body (under my arm, other leg, arms, back) etc. The twitches all come and go, although sometimes they are in the same spots. When they come, they last less than five seconds, except for one under the arm which lasted a minute or two. I had some mild aches before the twitching started but aches are gone.

Last, I also have some twitches/tremors that I don't understand. First, when I "half-smile" my cheek twitches pretty good. When I type on my cell phone, my left thumb has a tremor and if i sit in a chair with my feet on the ground and raise my heel up (i.e. leg rests on ball of foot), my legs shake. The right shakes worse than the left, but i notice it in both. I also feel like I have the general "shakes" sometimes

Last bits of info. I have had a sinus infection during the same time period. I have also stopped Depakote (which I take for bipolar disorder, which is part of the reason for my obsessiveness about this) during about the same time period.

My questions:

1) Put together, do these sound like ALS?

2) Would ALS twitches move around? Would they spread that quickly? Do they come and go?

3) Would the smile twitch and calf shake be caused by ALS? Does ALS cause essential or intention tremors?

4) Do you think the sinus infection and/or Depakote stopping could contribute to these types of symptoms?

5) With no actual weakness, should I be worried?

Many thanks to everyone in advance. And, my prayers to those of you who are bravely battling this disease. May God bless you.

Once you read the article I think you will realize you don't have ALS. I would still recommend you see your doctor about it as it could be something simple to fix. Try not to worry.

Thank you

joelc and asantiago,

Thanks for the information! I very much appreciate it.

God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back