Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
WOW! Don't know how many times I said that but it sure was a lot!
This area of the US is spectacular!
My brother one year older was my cals for the trip and with OJT he performed fantastic.
Our host and general manager of Jackson Lodge was Alex Klien
And his associates , they did a fantastic job of arranging special
trips and events through out our stay. If this sounds like a plug for them ,well it is cause they know how to accommodate people with ALS. Also the Gleason foundation was invaluable
in setting up our flights to & from and other logistical topics.
Now for the adventure!
First day out we went fishing in Jackson lake with capt. Pat and
his 20 ft motor boat. We went out pretty far where the water was 400 ft deep in places. Pat is a knowlegeable guy of the waters and mts. And had many stories to tell.
He said that as of late he had not been catching fish but maybe saying this to not raise our expectations.
Well the four lines weren't in the water 5 min when we started
Catching fish like mad. We were right at the base of Mt. Moran
If ya can imagine a Hugh glacier Mt coming right down to the cold clean waters of Jackson lake, that's the best!
We were throwing all the fish back and at one pint pat says hey
ya might want to eat a few of these fish. He filleted two of them and when we docked sent us to the marina reasturant the Ranch house and we had Chef Jay prepare them Pat's special way, I am telling ya I never had a fish meal as good as this!
Colter Bay marina / Jackson lodge as good as it gets.
Tired now so I'll do this in spurts. Love ya chally

Oh Chally, sounds totally awesome!! Look forward to hearing more

Literally tears of joy for ya Chally!

So glad to hear you got to take this wonderful trip! Keep the stories coming.

When the web site is fixed to take pictures, I want to see pictures!

We leave on Saturday for Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone. So looking forward to it. Hearing your excitement really whets my appetite.

Steve

Steve, if you pass Jackson lodge and can stop in say hello to Alex Klien General manager . Tell him we are friends. Have a great trip. Chally

Wow...Chalky the trip sounds almost as special as you are. Thanks so much for sharing your trips with us. It always makes me feel so much better to read your posts.

So, second day starts out w/ the beautiful Tetons in full view .
Again WOW,
We travel south from the lodge to Jenny lake , I believe one of Stevens favorite spots and I see immediately why!
The lake is right at base of the cathedral range of Tetons and refexes in the water what you see straight ahead, amazing!
We travel on in a dodge caravan w/ side entry that we rented
but had to come up from Cheyenne Wy, so it cost a bit and again Gleason foundation worked thi out for us.
Next stop is " Teton Village" a ski resort of fine class.
Our goal is to ride their Tram to the top @11,000 ft. And have a look around. Totally cool views and I wish I could still snow board to huck my meat off one of these triple black xxx
Anyway as we git ready to come back down a guy is getting off the tram that we are getting on and he has a Hugh back pack on. I look at him say hi and ask if he is going hiking in the outback? His response is No I am gitting ready to jump off this here Mt. And paraglide down! My jaw dropped! I had been trying to set up a jump for me but was told Salt Lake City was closes place to do it with licensed jumper. Dam!
Of course I begged him to take me down with him as my brother cringed that he might possibly being riding the tram down alone. In the end though the jumper figured he might not have the skills needed to take a quadgeflegic in the air.
So maybe another time I hope!
We left the ski resort and drove into Jackson hole for dinner.
This is a pretty cool town a bit expensive on everything but cool none the less. The park of course w/ ELK antler arch way is a big attraction and at this time a year not overly crowded.
Well a drive back to Jackson lodge a quite time in the big lobby
w/ fire place crackle ing ended a beautiful day two.
Love ya chally

Third day was a great float trip down the snake river with our guide mike from Jackson lodge.

Beings I was a raft guide my self he and I could swap stories one after the other.
Mike is from the area and knows a lot about the human history and geological history of Tetons. Honestly he could be teaching
what he knows on college level if he wants.
So interesting how the earth over time forms into majestic mts.
rivers and bio- regions.
The snake river is beautiful and eventually flows into the Columbia river and then to the Pacific Ocean.
This whole Teton/ Yellowstone area crosses the continental divide many times and water flow really lets you know where these divides are as the snake goes to Pacific Ocean the Yellowstone goes to the Gulf of Mexico and some waters goes to Colorado river and to the Baja of Mexico. Amazing earth!
This trip tok about three hrs and we saw bald eagles ,elk and lots of people fly fishing for cut throat trout.
This was another beautiful day on the water,very relaxing.
That's it for this day. Of course we spent from 4-8 in the grand lobby in pwc sipping coffee listening to piano music ,looking out the Hugh window and talking to many people from many countries. My brother and I wear " NO WHITE FLAGS " shirts.
every day and people always ask us what that's about and so opens conversation about ALS as this is Steve Gleasons battle cry and I have adopted it also. I feel awareness is important
for the future folks who must also bear this nightmare. Love ya all chally

Chally, You are my hero. I'm so glad you're getting to do all these things and getting to tell us about it. Keep up living life and I'm praying the rest of your trip is filled with many WOWS!!!!!

What an incredible time you are having!

Thank you for taking us with you every day, you write terrific stories xxxxx

Wow...Chally living through your words is pretty damn good. I am so tearfully happy for you and even more proud to read your posts.

Season 1 ,episode 4
This is getting to be fun like " binge TV"
So on our fourth day out the south gate to Yellowstone was opened after a week of closure due to fires.
So we headed out by 10 am which for me despite being up by
say5 ish is still early.
Driving up north toward the park is beautiful and scary as you pass many places that have been burnt up! But still the forest rebounds like a missed three point NBA shot and starts it's process of new growth immediately . Nature is the bomb!
We went counter clock wise through the the park which by the way is $50 bucks a car &$20 per person, luckily I have a national park pass so we saved bucks there.
Yellowstone lake is Hugh with many places to pull over and just look out on it. First up this way is Thumb bay .
We didn't stop to many time on the lake just rode and looked as I was interested in seeing where the water was exiting out of the lake @ fishing bridge. I had been on this bridge 25 yrs ago
and it feels cool to be back somewhere twice.
On ward to the canyon falls espically lower falls WOW!
I love high water falls as I used to huck my meat off many water falls in my kayak , highest being 25+ ft
Lamar valley was our next stop and it is beautiful with a great view of sky,sagebrush,pines,animals,rocks,water all layered together. Very peaceful and to think early explorers walked all this land but now we go 45 mph.
We were losing track of time and knew we had many miles to go so we skipped mammoth hot springs and only stopped a few times at othe seeps and hot vents in this way we could get to the "Old Faithful" and enjoy some time in the big old lodge
having dinner. Which was fantastic!
From here as it was now twilight we made a bee line back to Jackson lodge which took 2 hr@ 40 mph park rules at night.
Total miles 240 - 12 hr day ride priceless!
Next episode chally flies the plane and brother up chucks.
Love ya all

Fyi chally, if you bring a letter from your doc saying you are permanently disabled, your car and occupants get in for free to all np. There is a special pass for people with disabilities

Chally, the view through your words is breathtaking. What an adventure! Your brother is a champ and you are amazing.

Inquiring CALS want to know (also), what Beth did while you were off chasing nature and thrill seeking?

Becky

It is amazingly beautiful there Chally. I hope you get to go to Yosemite. Not nearly so ada friendly, or pwc friendly but driving around is amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back