Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is some more information on the X4 and X8 wheelchairs.

I don't know what the typical used price of an X4 is. I rarely see them for sale used.

Used X8 wheelchairs pop up on ebay from time to time and sellers seem to be asking between $8,000 and $15,000 for them.

An X8 with a basic seat (all manual) goes for about $15,000 new. With a full rehab seat (meaning legs, recline, tilt are all available and power) seem to go for $25,000 to $35,000. Those are all list prices. I don't know what would actually cost for private pay.

These wheelchairs are not covered by medicare in the US. I don't know of any insurance that would pay for one of these either. They are in a high group rating (group 4), so you must pay for them yourself. I have read that medicare and some private insurance will allow you simply pay the difference between what they think you need (group 2 or 3) and a group 4 product like the X8. I would not have one of these as my only wheelchair. For me it is a wonderful tool, but simply would not suite my lifestyle for everyday use.

The X4 and X8 can be used indoors, but they require a lot of space to turn. They have 14" diameter pneumatic ATV tires that provide high floatation, which is great outdoors, but a bit tricky indoors. I do use mine indoors from time to time.

The X4 and X8 have 4 wheels, which is important in the US for access to recreation areas. There is a federal law that designates certain wheelchairs and their users to be pedestrians. That means they are allowed anywhere that a wheelchair is not specifically prohibited. The result wheelchairs with 4 wheels that are suitable for indoor use are allowed any any trail in a wilderness area, US forest, or National Park/Monument/Recreation Area, etc. unless they are specifically prohibited.

There are wheelchairs with tracks (like a tank) or with 6 or even 8 wheels. I have also seen them with gas engines. Those are not covered by the federal law allowing wheelchair access to public lands.

NuMotion carries Magic Mobility products, so you can buy an X8 from them. You can also buy it from AccessToRecreation online Even if you don't buy online, you can use that site to get a feel for the cost of an X8.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back