Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am in the progress of testing for ALS. I first noticed symptoms four weeks ago while on vacation, when my right foot was very fatigued with pain up my outside right shin. Within a couple of days I developed foot drop. Upon seeing my doctor he informed my I had a pinched Peroneal nerve and sent me to physio and for a knee X-ray. At physio I was told it was a mutifacet failure as I had weakness from S1-L5 and muscel wasting in my r buttock hamstring and shin. Knee Xray came back clear. Two weeks ago I started having pain in my other leg in the same areas and now my foot tires very easily (driving for 1/2 hour). I also have termours all over both legs especially when I am tired. I met with another doctor today on a urgent basis as I am really freaked out this may be ALS. I found this board today and I ma amazed at the wondrful people on here. I am having a hard time coping as my children and wife are already afraid as they have never seen me so weak. The new doctor was unable to do anything to alleviate my fears however he has sent me for a EMG, and a back scan.
Thanks for talking.

gentlemen, settle down, pull your heads in and offer some guidance please. 3 years ago i had fascics in my left arm - one local continuous twitch - emg was clean and neuro was not concerned. january this year the twitch re-appeared same place, same continuous fascic. emg showed left arm compromised but right arm and legs fine. there is a reason neuros take years to learn this stuff because the science is imprecise.
now, babinski test - scrape sole of foot heel to toe - toe reflex up possible upper neuron damage [not als, mnd but neuron damage from hundreds of possible causes], toe reflex down is the normal reflex and suggestive of lmn damage from any source.
get the emg on legs, arms, spine - have the neuro assess the foot drop, weak leg, arms etc - a positive emg can mean a lot of things - ms, toxicity etc.
but the most important thing you should do now is get treatment for depression, get a social worker you trust and get any assistance you need from the many organisations that exist - i am horrified your doc is not already treating you for depression / anxiety.

By this you say it is possible to have a normal emg and later dirty one's. I don't understand why others say this is impossible. I've read about others myself. Artisto, Connies, springbowl, comfortable with als, Lori the all had an initial clean emg

Dear Springowl
This is my first post and I am a new member. I was in early 2010 where you were in 2007. I have muscle twitches, weakness in hands (typing starting to be affected) arms and legs more on the right side progressing very slowly from Janurary 2010 to now. I have a funny feeling swallowing (like i need to swallow more) and seem to have muscle atrophy thought my weight hasnt dropped much. I have two young children and a wonderful wife. My primary DR told me ALS is a clinical DX and I accept this. When i first realized iit might be als I was hysterical...a basket case.

My DR put me on an anti anxiety RX...Lexipro, and gave me a sleep aid that i take several times a week Lunesta. With these two medications i have come out of the desperation window and am coping OK. You might give something like this a try, it has helped me take a wait and see attitude. I am looking forward to meeting new freinds on this sight ...People that have been through what we have and are coping but most importantly, UNDERSTAND

My best to you and yours

4evrhoping

For all the foot drop people attaching to this post......... You can have foot drop from UMN problems as well as a positive babinski and weakness. Foot drop does not point straight to ALS or straight to it being a LMN issue. Far Far far from it.

A good bang on the head can cause it, ot you could try having a tumour, TIA or throw in a stroke for good measure. Get away from ALS all the time.

And listen to the experts. Of course you cant have a Dx of ALS from a clean EMG. Its not rocket science.

Who cares if it changes later on? Are you just going to sit in the closet and wait for the bogey man to visit? If thats what you are doing , get a good therapist and chuck yopur computer and Dr google out the door, then use the last bit of strength you have and jump on it.

Aly

Omg I loved Alyoops post...I choose not to wait on the boogey man..I choose to put on my "dirty fibber" cape, drag his ass out, and beat him until he calls me daddy. I dont get folks now a days that just want to roll over and die. My grandfather was dying of lung cancer in the hospital and got out of his bed one night flipped the nurse a bird and tried to walk home.

It seems courage and honor is dying with the old timers and that saddens me. But that post made me laugh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back