Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
oh
City
COlumbus
Hi Everyone-
I am a 19 year old girl and in the last few months or so I've noticed muscle twitching in just about every portion of my body, not in one area or more. I have some throat tightness but this was ultimately attributed to Epstein Barr and type-B Strep Throat. I must mention that I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder and PTSD after a few isolated but traumatic incidents in my life.
After googling my symptoms (mistake #1) I stumbled upon ALS and I am petrified to say the least, not sure where to go from here.

Any help or advice would be so so appreciated.
Love and peace to all of you.

Lex

Your only symptom is muscle twitching, which is perfectly normal and given what you've said here, not indicative of ALS. Instead of needlessly scaring yourself on here, if you want to visit a forum to talk about your symptoms, your best bet would be Anxiety Zone.

I am not a doctor but from what you said, it does not sound anything like ALS. Take it from someone who knows, stay off G o o g l e for anything medical if you have anxiety or PTSD. It will serve you no good. Any major health concern should be taken to your GP. Twitching alone without weakness does not point to ALS.

Hi Lex

I've never had an anxiety disorder but I have had PTSD and it most definitely is not fun; I do think that in some ways extreme anxiety about ALS/MND can mimic the PTSD response.

I have written about this in a blog post; you can read it by clicking on the blog link in this post.

But the bottom line is that your doctors have carefully reviewed you and found a physical cause for your throat symptoms, and presumably are not concerned about your twitching. In these circumstances it is incredibly unlikely that you have ALS/MND, but very likely that you will completely freak yourself out if you wander around the web looking at ALS/MND stuff.

If you continue to be concerned then talk to your doctors; they are paid to worry about things so you don't have to. I wish you the best of luck for the future!

Lex nothing you say sounds in the least like A L S. Take care and throw your energy into dealing with your PTSD. Sending you a big hug.

Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back