Status
Not open for further replies.
yep works through feeding tube :)

Tillie - thank you. I had no idea I could do atropine through the feeding tube. I may give that a go as the Robinul has it limits. He didn’t deal well under tongue and it was hard to see since he could barely open his mouth. Awesome for the tip!

Hugs,

Sue

Thank you Affected, you are an angel.

General note: when a PALS starts choking/coughing, if s/he is using BiPAP, it helps to make sure settings are ramped down to where there is no backup rate, cycle sensitivity, target volume and/or max IPAP reduced, etc. so air flow that is too much/out of sync, does not increase irritation.

Also, even for a tube, consider papaya or pineapple juice, lemonade, warm liquids.

Something that helped us to manage the excess saliva was a portable suction machine with a long wand that sucks all that extra stuff out of the mouth. It was provided by our respiratory therapist.

I'm not sure about how well atropine would work through the peg as compared to under the tongue there was some confusion there.

I was replying to Livealot who asked Chally about the effervescent n- acetylcysteine.
I'm sorry I should have been more explicit!

Tillie - thank you for the clarification. Guess that’s why I never heard about it. Hadn’t tried yet so no harm, no foul.

Hugs,

Sue

atropine can be absorbed through the gums and lips also I believe. Another option is Levsin, it works well, it comes in pill form; my wife grinds it up and shoots in my feeding tube with warm water

Flonase has been helpful for reducing mucus / phlegm coming down from the nasal cavity

Chally mentioned PharmaNAC that thins the mucus, but NAC is known to cause kidney stones, so I dont use that every day

Good luck - Pat

https://www.als.net/forum/yaf_posts...als-mucus--phlegm--also-excessive-saliva.aspx

Hello,

my mum is useing a cough assist. Today she complains about pain in her chest. Is it normal? Please help us :sad:

If she does not have an infection, I would try reducing the pressure.

Yes, she has an infection, she catched a cold.

In that case, I would increase humidification in the home, in the BiPAP humidifier, increase her liquid intake if needed to ensure that she is not dehydrated, and monitor her closely for any fever or worsening pain, which might require her to see a physician who can listen to her lungs. And I would adjust the CoughAssist pressure and use to her comfort, and perhaps not use it as frequently or at all for now, if it does not help.

Does she still have the pain?

When someone has a cold, it can also be a good idea to reduce the BiPAP air pressure so they can breathe more shallowly but frequently. Do you know how to do this?

I just had radiation to slow mine down it has helped tremendously.

pat, do you use Flonase on a maintenance schedule throughout the day? If so, how often?

mich5, an als adovate recommended flonase becacuse it does not have a rebound effect

it takes a week to work

first few days two sprays each nostril, after that one spray daily; its a lifesaver - Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back