Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Mountlake Terrace
Circling back around - my original thread was closed.

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/38085-need-some-advice.html

I saw the neurologist in April who did a basic exam and based on my history ordered another MRI of my brain and spinal cord with contrast. The results came back as clean - no MS. He told me there was no test he could do to prove to me that there was nothing wrong with me and that I should work with my doctor on seeing a physiatrist. So I left the office and decided to try to relieve stress from my life and work on any anxiety I might have. It has been a few months and nothing has gone away and is actually slightly worse.

Twitching all over – biceps, calves, thighs, back & tongue – hot spot in right arm – these are pretty violent twitching that half of the time cannot be stopped by flexing the muscle.

Weakness in legs – they shake when going down stairs and tire out easier. I have also started to have cramping in my calves.

Weakness in arms & hands. Feel weak and loosing dexterity. If I carry anything of weight my arms get extremely weak. Main weakness is in my left arm. It seems to be weakness coming from the shoulder blade going down to bicep that makes it harder to lift my arm along with cramping.

Tongue cramping that will radiate down the right side of chin and down my neck – It was cramping for 2 weeks straight

Besides basic blood work I already mentioned and the MRI I have had no further testing. I went to my Dr./Naturopath who has been awesome and reassuring that he would help me get to the bottom of this. I am not sure if I should press the issue & go back to the neurologist and ask for an EMG.

Thoughts?

A physiatrist is a really good step- they can assess your structure, gait and muscle reaction to movement and provide immediate feedback and what your next steps (medical or rehabilitative) should be. They can track changes from one appointment to the next and help you figure out how your movement can be improved.

If a physiatrist is not in the cards, a physiotherapist can also provide much of the same care. Either a physiatrist or physio can definitely help make sure your physical symptoms are being noted and tracked properly, and also provide a professional record for you to bring to any medical appointment should you wish to explore your symptoms further. It's a hard truth that some things can be overlooked if it's the subjective report of a patient instead of the objective observations of a medical professional.

If your doctor actually meant psychiatrist, I am also of the firm opinion this is of benefit. It's important to explore every option that will lead you towards health. I have never regretted seeing a psychiatrist, as he has provided me an inordinate level of care and support over the past few years while dealing with illness.

Best of luck in your search for care and reason for your symptoms.

~Fiona

I see no reason not to ask about an EMG.
Be careful with naturopaths -- since it is largely a cash business, unavoidably some are better ATMs than clinicians.

Thank you for your responses - I have a follow up appointment with my neurologist next week. I will report back with results once I get an emg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back