Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Miami
Hi my mom was diagnosed in sept 2011, she has the bulbar als, she cant speak, and she has issues swallowing, she has the BIPAP but never want to put it on as she says its very uncomfortable...so she will only wear it for 1/2 the most at times, but last night i had to call the rescue because she complains of her chest hurting and her back, she is also short of breath, even though she says she's not. this is my 2nd time writing here i always read but never write, i was just wondering if this is something anybody out there has experienced....:sad:

Amy, there are many different BiPAP masks. Call the DME/Home Health Agency that provided her BiPAP and arrange for her to try different masks and different sizes. Hopefully she'll find one that is more comfortable and will use it.

Amy, I'm sorry y'all are going through such a difficult time. Was she admitted to the hospital? Chest pain can be several different things, even anxiety. If she is not getting enough air into her lungs she may be experiencing panic attacks. I hope you can find a solution to making her more comfortable.

Hi Amy, If your mom is experiencing difficulty breathing, she may have had a panic attack which can feel like a heart attack or chest pains. I would definitely try to resolve the bipap mask so she can breathe easier.

Amy, chest pains or shortness of breath is a medical emergency that can be cuased by many things, some of which are both complex and life-threatening. Some of these can only be properly diagnosed and treated by a medical doctor in the emergency room. They need to take a lot of measurements and they have the drugs and monitoring equipment needed to solve the problem whatever it is.

EMTs can do only a little about this problem, so I hope they took her to the ER.

And you might ask her Dr about Ativan for anxiety.
Good luck,
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back