Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Greetings all,

I hope to get some information from some of you knowledgeable folks regarding symptoms I've had for the past 6 months or so. I am a 38 year old male living in New York City.

Starting about 6 months ago, I had a slew of strange sensory issues, including tingling, cobweb feelings, itchiness and a feeling of a pebble stuck in my left foot when standing or walking. I received an MRI or neck and c-spine which were normal.

The sensory symptoms abated, and starting about five months ago I began having sporadic fasciculations. I was unconcerned until they became widespread and frequent; I currently have true tongue fasciculations on a daily basis (sometimes the entire day, confirmed by neuro in person and on video) and nonstop calf fascics on both calves. I also have twitches everywhere else, including ones that move my fingers and toes (especially after exercise). In addition, I have cramping everywhere from the feet to the jaw/tongue. If I have a cold and I am coughing a lot, my tongue will indent (cramp) and I will have to rest it so it returns to normal. I have also had painful cramps in my jaw from opening my mouth wide. Cramping is sporadic and does not happen every day.

In terms of other physical symptoms, I have subjective weakness, exercise intolerance, and one weak shoulder that becomes extremely stiff and twitchy when I raise it above my head. The shoulder symptom is relatively new and has not been evaluated by a doctor.

I received two EMGs, one at the start and one more recently about a month ago, both of which were clean. The neuro did find that my reflexes were diminished; I had areflexia in both knees (patellar) and hyporeflexia in both arms. He did not find clinical weakness or

The neuro felt that the sensory origin, clean EMG and lack of cliinical weakness were enough to assure him that we are not dealing with anything serious. I am less convinced, mostly due to the areflexia/hyporeflexia. This was also confirmed by my GP who was concerned about it.

I realize that this is a strange constellation of symptoms, so I was hoping someone may have some insight into what it could be. I am doing my best to stay rational - I just have not found many people who have experienced this combination of symptoms.

I appreciate any response and I thank you for your time in reading this.

I have never heard anyone mention a tongue cramp before! Not saying it doesn't happen just totally new concept to me.

Sensory symptoms point away from ALS as do your clean EMG and diffuse symptoms

About reflexes they are generally hyper and at the beginning unilateral in ALS and an upper motor neuron finding. Decreased reflexes COULD be a lower motor neuron finding except you have a normal EMG and no clinical weakness so that does not seem to the the issue. I trust you have had blood work for chemistries and thyroid at the least. Discuss your next step with your primary

Not ALS.
Agree with Nikki and your neuro.
Clean EMGs, sensory issues, and lack of true weakness point away from ALS.

Thank you both for your prompt and reassuring replies.

Now you have 3 senior members totally agreeing this sounds nothing like ALS. This is such great news for you!

Please read the sticky and do not post anywhere else except in this thread of your own.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back