Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi "hamdog", you are in a very critical situation and i would like to suggest you to go to a doctor for the treatment as soon as possible.

The thing that worries me is that I've read in many places it often starts with a hand...and a few months ago I started noticing I was dropping things here and there and my right hand is definitely a little weaker. If it started in my hand is it possible I could still run, jump, etc. until it spread? I'm going to the neuro today so hopefully he can shed some light. Thanks again everyone.

GoOd luck with the Neuro visit

Let us know what your Neuro says. Good luck!

Thanks guys...

Just got back from the neuro. He said the only think he noticed was slight weakness in my thumbs and the ability to push against him when he pushed my pointer finger and pinky finger together (with fingers spread)...however he said this was identical on both hands and that is not characteristic with ALS (it would be the one affected hand at first). He also said he saw nothing to suggest ALS (no fascics in hand where I noted weakness, normal muscle build, etc.).

This definitely helps alleviate some of the stress and a clean EMG is the only thing left to get this scare completely out of my head...he scheduled me for an EMG Friday morning, said he suspects it could potentially be slight carpal in my hands (I do use a keyboard all day for my job and I play golf several times a week).

Way to go getting into that doctor and getting some good reassurance! We'll wait to hear how the EMG goes, but things are sounding promising. Good luck.

Ugh...wish I had noticed this before seeing the neuro. My tongue felt very weak in my mouth today...so I let it hang out in the mirror and it hangs very pronounced to one side. There also seems to be a lot of movement going on (fascics?).

I have a question regarding the tongue thing...

If the EMG of my hand comes back clean, does this rule out the tongue thing being associated with ALS?

Hamdog.....all tongues twitch when poked out. Stop looking at your tongue. They are weird, gross and have a mind of their own. :)

Only when you stop looking for ALS will your symptoms go away. Read this, then reread it, then reread it again. Now start living it!

Thanks for the support guys...although I am having trouble controlling my anxiety I am doing my best to get to the doctors as soon as possible to figure it out.

I just got back from having a pulmonary test done and my lung capacity was lower than the target level...which explains the feeling of not being able to get a full breath. This issue first presented itself about a year ago at least 9 months before any other possible ALS symptom I've had...so I'm wondering if this breathing issue would ever be the first symptom of ALS or if it's not typical for it to start out like that.

I also got my EMG moved up from Friday morning to Thursday morning so that's one less day of anxious waiting.

My understranding is that a pulmonary presentation is extremely rare.

Hamdog,
For my 100th post I give you this:

A guy walks into the Dr. office, and says...
“Doc, I got this problem. One minute I think I’m a Tepee, the next minute I think I’m a Wigwam.
Doc says “Hmmm, I think I know what your problem is.” “You’re two tents!”

Get it? Too tense!

Health anxiety will do you in faster than anything.

Stay positive, and listen to the professionals.

Cheers,
Casey

So I just got back from the EMG, they did both arms and hands...I don't know if you would call it clean but according to the doc there were not any fasciculations and he said I do not have ALS or any MND. I do however have 4 pinched nerves (both wrists and elbows) with nerve damage on the left elbow (I had issues with this nerve back in high school). This surprised me because I really had no tingling/numbness.

Still having issues with speech, my tongue is clearly weak, still twitching, and I now know the shortness of breath is clinical due to decreased lung capacity. I did have a chest x-ray to rule out anything that would have found.

So now I'm thinking more along the lines of potentially lyme, who knows maybe MS, idk. Whatever it is, I am pretty much anxiety free about it now and have a much clearer mind going forward, considering I had given myself up for dead in 3 years!

Also wanted to thank everyone for the support and I will post updates when I figure out what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back