Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
California
City
Sunnyvale
Hi all,

I've been having some pretty concerning symptoms. A quick background, I'm a 26 y/o male with obstructive sleep apnea that's getting worse over time.

Basically, about a month ago, I started noticing weakness in my left thumb. It was slight, but distinctly there. Over the course of the weeks since, that weakness has spread to my left pinky, left forefinger, right thumb, right ring finger, and right pinky. The rate of progression has increased recently and today, I had trouble squeezing a mustard bottle with my right hand (my right pinky would essentially collapse flat at the 2nd hinge from lack of strength).

I notice this weakness very distinctly in these fingers as I'm typing on my keyboard. When I press down, the hinges have very little support and feel weak. Today, my left thumb started to bend like my left pinky does when I press down on a key.

I'm concerned because there's been no pain so far, and because of the rate of progression on both hands. If there were wrist or elbow pain, I might have thought it was some sort of pinched nerve, etc. However, the lack of that and the appearance of these symptoms in both hands makes me afraid it's ALS.

On another perhaps related note, the muscles in my left calf and knee have gotten weaker also. This has been happening over the course of a few months now. I have pretty frequent feelings of muscle fasciculations, but not much evident twitching.

I'm going to see a neuro real soon, but I'd love to hear your guys thoughts also.

What did your doctor say about your weakness?

Wait to see what your doctor says rather than reading about the worst thing it could be. Don't do this to yourself. It's probably carpal tunnel or something easily fixed. Turn off your computer until after your appt. Instead of scaring yourself like this. Good luck!

Wait to see what your doctor says rather than reading about the worst thing it could be. Don't do this to yourself. It's probably carpal tunnel or something easily fixed. Turn off your computer until after your appt. Instead of scaring yourself like this. Good luck!

I totally understand where you're coming from, and it's honestly probably a good idea. I just can't get it out of my head b/c of the complete lack of pain/numbness/tingling. Guess I'll just have to wait it out until I see the doc and then another few weeks before tests are done.

I totally understand where you're coming from, and it's honestly probably a good idea. I just can't get it out of my head b/c of the complete lack of pain/numbness/tingling. Guess I'll just have to wait it out until I see the doc and then another few weeks before tests are done.

If you did "totally understand" where Ms. Pie is coming from you would understand that is not "probably" a good idea but IT IS A GOOD IDEA! All you can do is wait and it IS best that you stop reading here, about a condition that it is highly unlikely you have based on age alone. We can't make you do that but hopefully we can ALL not reply further to the questions that you will surely ask. All the best to you in the coming weeks and if by some horrible minuscule chance the neuro indicates that ALS is a possible explanation then do come back and you will be welcomed with open arms.

If you did "totally understand" where Ms. Pie is coming from you would understand that is not "probably" a good idea but IT IS A GOOD IDEA! All you can do is wait and it IS best that you stop reading here, about a condition that it is highly unlikely you have based on age alone. We can't make you do that but hopefully we can ALL not reply further to the questions that you will surely ask. All the best to you in the coming weeks and if by some horrible minuscule chance the neuro indicates that ALS is a possible explanation then do come back and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Affirmative, thanks for your replies and thoughts.

Now sign off the forum and enjoy yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back