Status
Not open for further replies.
Missy, hi..

Thanks for sharing.I am going to save your information. When and if we get more and more responses and can templetize the data entry online,we can format the information and submit to research institutions.

I am trying to talk to senior neurologist here to find out whether he can help with any format.

Hope I get his help.

N.

your statistics are astonishing, Missy and it is SURE that someone should be looking into it.

As to the genetic vs other type, that really is a mystery. BUt maybe something can get caught up in the genes at any time if that family is unlucky. Or maybe it is completely separate strain. But maybe the fact that the two exist side by side could even throw up an answer? Who knows?

Good for you, N

It's in the water! Don't drink the water!

I've read that the overwhelming majority of ALS patients are Caucasian. 93% is what I remember. I think that the cause is partially genetic, and also due to environment. And, while pesticides are used more often in the "developed world", the population in the US and in Europe is now very broadly mixed... which is why it seems to point to a "predisposition" genetically.

Pesticides may well play into the mix. Or many substances may work in combination.

One of the most commonalities among those who are diagnosed with ALS is water. They all have been known to drink water. Just my thought if you are looking for commonalities.

Zaphoon, Yes I do understand what you are saying and agree to it.

As of now we dont know a common point.

Going a little ahead with that example of water, most people who drink water don't get it.

Just to extend the humor, can water be prevention? :)

Sorry..just extended your lines.

Keep in touch.

Nice to hear your point of view.

N.

But Zaphoon - what is in our water that is not in someone else's water. How are there 9 men roughly the same age, with the same basic background , from the same place with ALS. THAT is the question.

Last edited:
Cluster in SC, too! and up north in Mass I think.

nachiketg: maybe you have already been to this website, but you will find lots of info there! alstdi forum

I believe researchers are looking for mutations of genes as a possible contributing factor for developing ALS. The idea being that damage to the DNA can cause a predilection to ALS, which could explain cases of increased incidence possibly being related to as-yet-unknown environmental factors.

Its going to be a bittersweet day when we finally learn the cause of this beast.

Such collection of information in detailed format, if becomes possible, needs to be in anonymous mode,I believe, as there will be privacy issues.

but not so anonymous that we cannot pinpoint places. I think there is a danger of losing any tiny precious thing - we cannot know what yet - by anonymity. Finding an answer is more important than fussy privacy points

What if the space invader nuts have it right? Maybe we are all subjects to some otherworldly experiment. Maybe they all have ALS and can't figure it out so they gave it to us to work on it. I think we will kill it (we are good at killing stuff) and then they will have the cure too.

Peace, Out

by the way Iris Marie, LOVE the new avatar, verrrryyy sexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back