Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Iowa City
Yesterday my wife and I flew from Iowa to Arcata, Ca., 3 flights including one over 4 hours. On the long flight I experienced intermittent difficulty breathing, especially when I leaned back in the seat to rest. I experienced some lightheadedness as well. Once on the ground—in fact once at lower altitude--I felt normal as far as respiration goes.

I’ve not had any breathing difficulties up till now; numbers for breathing tests have been better than normal for my age. I’ve read some of the earlier threads on this topic and am assuming the distress was the result of altitude and lower oxygen levels (despite pressurization) combined with body position and incipient diaphragm weakness.

I’m wondering if this is an experience others have had while breathing was otherwise not an issue, and if you have any suggestions for dealing with it short of a bipap. I have two more longish flights coming up (2.75 and 3.5 hrs). I assume a bipap will address the problem long-term, but one hasn’t been even under consideration yet at my clinic visits, and that solution won’t help for the flights upcoming over the next few weeks.

I would like to hear the answer to this as well. Thanks for posting! We are taking a 5.5 hr flight next month.

Well, first to get the obvious "buy a cheap BiPAP yourself" out of the way, Second Wind has models for $399/6 mo. warranty currently. They will likely last longer. All you need is an rx from any doc. What's wrong with a backup, anyway? You can buy new machines for not much more.

Otherwise, the golden rules would be stay awake or sleep as upright as possible, eat light, avoid alcohol, get up and stretch, take deep breaths periodically, use a neck pillow to keep your airway open if you do doze, etc. Or, if possible, take the train or bus (I know, just general advice).

Best,
Laurie

My husband lost breathing capacity early. But , the pulmo always recommended he travel with jis bipap. The mode of transportation didnt matter it was having it with him if it was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back