Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hi,

All you folks are wonderful, brave, and I promise that this will be quick; I don’t want to waste your time on excessive meaningless nonsense.

Anyways, I’m a 26 year old male with some allergies/post nasal drip problems and recently I have begun to experience some concerning (what I perceive to be) Bulbar symtoms:

1.) Minor swallowing problems, generally when my anxiety is high. Food sometimes gets stuck at the back of the throat and require a “double swallow”. If I’m relaxed, generally this will not occur.

2.) Minor speech and pronunciation problems. I’d call it more of a stutter vs a slur, and it’s something that no one else seems to notice. Also, I haven’t come across words or sounds that I can’t pronounce; I simply will trip up on a set of words, then will be fine when I try the second time.

3.) Sore, tight jaw & massive amounts of ear pressure during flare ups. TMD/TMJ might be a culprit behind the previous two symptoms.

And finally, my most anxiety inducing‘symptoms’...

4.) Slight tongue asymmetry. When tongue is relaxing in mouth, I can see that the “middle line” has a curve to it and isn’t perfectly straight (hinting one side of tongue is stronger?). Also, this slight curvature is also noticed on the very tip of my tongue when the muscles are flexed to maximum capacity.

5.) Perhaps some scalloping on “weak side”? Can see some indentations on side of tongue, but definitely not discernible as tooth marks.

As some additional info, my tongue (as far as can tell) is not experiencing any noticeable weakness. I can move it back and forth, up and down, around my lips, ect, fairly rapidly without any forceful effort. I have no excessive twitching or noticeable fasculations.

I realize that 26 is generally young for ALS, and that I’m probably worrying way too much, but I just wanted to quickly get your take on the matter and whether or not I should see a neurologist at this point. Again, if you think I should stop worrying, I’ll take the advice and move on. Just need some direction because my anxiety has hit an all-time level and I’m beginning to falter at work, ect.

Thank you all very much, thanks to all for your time. Prayers to all.

Whenever you have a problem that goes away or becomes incredibly mild when you aren't anxious... that's a good clue that it's caused by anxiety. Staring/concentrating so intensely at your tongue that you can comment on it's middle bits and symmetery is also a good sign of anxiety.

None of us are docs, but you asked, so here's my advice:

Go to a dentist, preferably your normal one if you have one. Ask about things you think are related to TMJ, and get a general check up. If there are important visible problems with your tongue, he'll probably bring it up. (Someone around here the last few days had just that happen.) It's a good way to get an objective look at your situation, and your teeth with thank you, too!

If you anxiety is out of control and hurting you at work, seek help for that. That's a much bigger deal than swallowing twice instead of once, it's hurting your day-to-day life.

I don't understand why ALS would even occur on your radar in the first place; there is a very big gap between seasonal rhinitis and an inevitably terminal disease...

Tokahfang - Thanks, will take that advice. I'm due for a checkup anyways. Appreciate the response.

Grateful - I'm not sure. I think it was the combination of speech/swallowing issues (that were out of the norm for me) and the tongue observation. I admit that I have a worrying problem. Again, I mean no disrespect and I intend not to waste anybody's time here on this forum, just after days of constant worry I thought I'd run it by some people with more experience before making a doctor's appt. I'm sure the system is bogged down enough by hypochondriacs (like myself), and if those appt's can be avoided everyone will be better off. Appreciate your response as well, thanks.

Well, at least your teeth will benefit:)

1. when I get stressed out, I have trouble swallowing, and I clench my jaw which can cause pain.

2. perfect symetry in the human body is very rare. Are you a super model?

3. Do not study your tongue--that is just weird.

Go jet checked out so you can go on.. My dad had bulbar and his first signs were slurring. A year later I was lossing my voice and was freaking out, after months of worring I went to my Ear, nose and throat Doc, he knew my concerns and knew my dad. It was acid reflux that I did not even know I had, it was taking a toll on my vocal chords. Go to the dentist or E.N.T. You might be worring for nothing. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back