Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow just read this whole thread and took a lot of notes,thanks everyone! Andrea

So glad you were able to find something useful within this thread. I so appreciate everyone's help and suggestions as it ultimately led to most every night being a good night of sleep (for BOTH of us). We've just added an electric blanket into the mix. It is light and easily adjusted for warmth. I'll turn it on to 4 as we begin the process of getting into bed... and then down to 2 when I'm ready to close my own eyes for the night. I was surprised to go back and read that it hasn't yet been 6 months since we moved to the hospital bed... yet it feels as if it could easily have been a year! LOL

Jim

I have two notes of caution: First the electric blanket is warm, but normal people move around a lot at night to adjust for hot spots. A PALS might not be able to move around, and may suffer some localized cooking.

Second, the condensation in a hose varies with the local weather. As temperature, humidity, and air pressure change throughout the day, so does the condensation in the hose. It's not something you can "set and forget."

Thank you, Mike, for that note of caution related to the electric blanket. As we've moved into the winter, I've noted exactly what you describe related to the condensation in the hose. We were spoiled by the ResMed S9 BiPAP which had a heated hose and NEVER had a condensation issue. And so replicating our previous experience is what were hopeful of finding now that we're using the Trilogy at night. Again, your comments are very much appreciated...

Jim

Thank you, Mike, for that note of caution related to the electric blanket. As we've moved into the winter, I've noted exactly what you describe related to the condensation in the hose. We were spoiled by the ResMed S9 BiPAP which had a heated hose and NEVER had a condensation issue. And so replicating our previous experience is what were hopeful of finding now that we're using the Trilogy at night. Again, your comments are very much appreciated...

Jim

Mom's Trilogy has a heated circuit available, but the thought the air was too warm somehow and made breathing uncomfortable. She likes the "cooler" air, so we just deal with the condensation.

Hmmm... had not heard of a "heated" option for the Trilogy. Am going to have to hunt this down. Thank you, GilWest!

Jim

Re electric blankets, we always had one on top of Larry in his wheelchair in the living rm but of course we were monitoring it. It was low voltage but he always needed it at the highest setting. Our LR has a lot of windows.

At night, Mike's caution is warranted so we used a low voltage mattress pad that went between the mattress and a regular mattress pad. On top of that was his foam overlay, a waterproof mattress protector, the slip sheet we used for getting him up and the fitted sheet. With that, Larry's settings were usually 2-4. You might not think the heat could get through all those layers, but it does.

The key to both of these for safety is "low voltage." And if there is a short, the blanket or pad will not turn on.

We didn't have a Trilogy -- I hate Respironics machines -- but if condensation is an issue at night for Darcy, why not go back to the S9 for sleep? In any event, I would never have a machine at night that wasn't using heated humidification, preferably w/ temp and humidity set separately as you can do w/ the S9s and ClimateLine tubing. For those who have tried and thought the air was too hot or wet, I'll bet you only had one setting, not two.

Jim, I wrapped Steve's trilogy hose in a fabric to serve as insulation. Basically it is a cylindrical tube with elastic at both ends with cut outs for the vent thingy. My mother in law sews so she contributed that. They suggested insulating products in the plumbing area but the foam was too heavy for Steve. Philips makes an insulating device for the trilogy hose but the resp ther said they are quite expensive.

Now that we've fully entered into the Winter season, we've not had any issues with condensation. We were sent a trap... but have not had to put it into the mix, yet. Our upstairs temperature is set to 71°F and only the heat pump/heater comes on. Darcey continues to use the electric blanket. I set it at 5 prior to her getting into bed so her bed is warm and inviting... and then turn it down to 1 or 2 (dependent upon what type of "I'm Cold" day it has been).

Darcey can no longer use the push buttons to raise or lower the head/foot on her own. So the emphasis is now to center her in bed so that neither hand falls off the side. She had this happen to her right hand the other day... and refused to wake me to put it back onto the bed. So when I did wake... and when she then asked that it be put back onto the bed... it was quite swollen. What is it with you PALS that you won't wake us CALS for things like this... even after we've asked that you do? Sheesh!

And so, as we leave 2014 behind us and head into the new year, we're still sleeping well through the night...

Jim

>And so, as we leave 2014 behind us and head into the new year, we're still sleeping well through the night...

:)

Happy New Year to All!

Jim,
To avoid the hands' falling off the bed, we had perforated (for ventilation) latex foam strips for each forearm, and poly travel pillows to adjust the elbow angle and support the wrists. This also helps ensure shoulder support as that musculature weakens. So we were floating each elbow, just as we were floating the heels.

I still live in the house of pillows ...

I used pillows of all shapes and sizes to keep bits of Chris supported and bits floating. It would all change of course all the time and so a particular pillow, or arrangement of pillows would be perfect, then suddenly would suck. I would throw a pillow into a spare room and bring out a heap more and mess about until we found a new combination/arrangement.

It amazed me how some pillows were great for a while, then were crap, then great again, then crap.

Hmmm... had not heard of a "heated" option for the Trilogy. Am going to have to hunt this down. Thank you, GilWest!

Jim

I didn't think about it, but mom uses a humidifier. It has some connections tha allow for the heated circuit. I have attached a pic of her setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 168
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back