Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned that it is best to go on disability sooner better than later, my insurance had a high deductable and I tried to keep working. Once I was on disability my doctor bills were paid my medicare/medicaid but they will only go back 3 months on bills, I have about $6000 in bills that I have to pay since I was still under my old insurance, if I had went on disability before the 3 month period, it would have been covered.

Thank you all again. I can use all advice that I can get.

Everything feels very surreal right now.

eworth76,
I think I went through shock at first. I guess that's pretty normal for getting a diagnosis like this. This is a great site to get support and questions answered. Things will calm down after some time. Give yourself time.

I was told to take it one day at a time.

Sorry you have to be here but welcome

Lynne

Thank you Lynne. I have someone coming by the house from the ALSA today thanks to people from this forum. It has already been most helpful and we are less than 24 hours in. I appreciate all the support and pray that I can return that in the future.

Today, I am numb. My mother and children had to hear of my diagnosis yesterday. I have a 20 y/o son, 14, and 13 y/o daughters. My son is studying to be a minister and is so optimistic. My daughters are terrified. I try to encourage them, but do not have the words to say to put their minds at ease. This is what hurts the most right now.

It's awful eworth. My wife and I are traveling back from our annual Midwest visit to family and friends. The trip was very hard on me physically and will surely be my last. Hard to say goodbye when I knew it really meant goodbye. This disease really sucks. Alex

Welcome....this is a wild rollercoaster you are on. There are good days, there are difficult days. Your emotions will be all over the place and you will have a ton of questions. This is the place to come. You will help,answers, and support here for yourself and your family. People on here get what your going through because we are all on the ALS ride with you. Dont let the fear and anxiety grip you. Use this resource. It is one of the best!

Steph's right, Ernie -- do your best to express your feelings -- use a blog, private messaging, clergy, anything/everything to keep each phase moving forward.

Today, I am numb. My mother and children had to hear of my diagnosis yesterday. I have a 20 y/o son, 14, and 13 y/o daughters. My son is studying to be a minister and is so optimistic. My daughters are terrified. I try to encourage them, but do not have the words to say to put their minds at ease. This is what hurts the most right now.

Ernie,
First, I echo all of the good advice you received from the others. This disease sucks but the people here will help you navigate the unknown, take the edge off of the frightening, and generally be a great help to you.
Now, a couple specific points... I hate - but understand - your numbness and feeling of helplessness WRT your kids. The day I told my son and 3 daughters (the youngest of whom was also 13) that I had ALS, I reminded them (and myself!) that all of the things we knew, believed and hoped the day prior to the diagnosis were just as true the day after.
I think taking that banner into the fight has helped us to not have a crisis of faith in the face of this ordeal. As time goes by, I encourage you to keep an open dialogue with the kids; they need to absorb this in small doses! IMO, it helps to find the balance between ALS being the centerpiece of your lives and it being the elephant in the room that no one acknowledges.

After 3 years of this dance with Uncle Lou I had to give up my job as a manager when my speech became to bad for me to deal with employees and customers. As I was about to go on STD-to-LTD, my employer offered me the chance to work on some strategic planning issues from home. A blessing to be sure, and maybe one that you could also work out with your company. Less stress on you, and they still get the benefit of the knowledge that led to you being the GM!

Insurance: if you do not already, begin paying for your LTD so that when you take it the income is non-taxable. Easy switch with your HR dept, and runs me about $20 per month. I'll make that up in tax savings quickly and I have been paying it for 3 years.

Resolve to die with great resistance, and know that having ALS does not preclude you from living fully for your family right now!

Blessings,
Jeff

>Insurance: if you do not already, begin paying for your LTD so that when you take it the income is non-taxable

hmmm? non-taxable? please elaborate ...

>Insurance: if you do not already, begin paying for your LTD so that when you take it the income is non-taxable

hmmm? non-taxable? please elaborate ...

If your company pays the 'premium' for the LTD, then it is taxed when you take it. You have the option to pay it yourself before you go on LTD, at which time it is not taxed. Little tip I got from an HR rep shortly after my diagnosis.

lemme know what you find here, Max!

>If your company pays the 'premium' for the LTD, then it is taxed when you take it. You have the option to pay it yourself before you go on LTD

thanks, always worth hoping.

>lemme know what you find here, Max!

checked the pay stub and I don't see a deduction, so hp must have it built in. unclear, though, as I recall having to opt in for the 70% ... I am hoping I can last thru nov., apply dec 1, it takes 30 days, so std in jan/feb, ltd thru 'till death do us part :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back