Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
USA
City
USA
Hi, I'm new here 20 y/o female. I started noticing weakeness in my arm/bicep area back in August. Finally my hand has had horrible tremors lately that go into the back of my shoulders so I decided to go to my GP to talk to her about it. She started to do all of these tests and referred me to a neuro for an MRI all of that "fun" stuff . Of course when I came home I typed in tremors to Dr. Google, and what do you know. ALS popped up along with 8 million other things. I'm scared. Mostly because my right arm just can't do what it used to. I type with my left hand mostly now and eat with my right hand but it's hard. If I can use my left hand I do. I know I'm awfully young, but I wanted your guys opinions. Could this be anxiety from typing it into google? Reguardless, I want to know more about the disease.

Hi, BAnn. You're both right and wrong. You're right to follow your doctor's lead in your health investigation, and you're wrong to want to know more about the disease.

The description that you gave of your symptoms didn't say ALS to me. I don't know what your problem is, but let your doctor figure that out. There are lots of possibilities. Your symptoms are fairly common, but ALS is rare. It makes no sense to leap from common symptoms to a rare disease.

Don't focus on ALS. First, there is no need to. Second, you become what you focus on. If you focus on a disease, you will feel yourself becoming a sick person. Don't do that. Let your doctor figure this out.

I wouldn't worry about ALS if I were you.

BAnn,
At your young age the most likely possibility is you're overstressing your neck/shoulders when you look at your phone/tablet/computer screens. You have nothing to worry about in our corner of the world.

Do some stretches (Google carpal tunnel exercises and classical stretch for some ideas), get a therapeutic massage, go for a walk and let the medical process play out.

Best,
Laurie

I'm pretty worried now cause I am experiencing pains in my legs and numbness in my right leg. Also this stupid washing machine spin dry internal feeling is driving me crazy.

That's not ALS at all.
See your doctor.

I've realized the vibrating feeling is coming from my right arm? If I sleep on my left side I don't notice it, but on my right side I do? I have my neuro appointment in 8 days, would it be dumb of me to ask him if he suspects ALS?

BAnn, you should always ask your doctor about every concern you have, even if it sounds dumb.

Extremely worried today. My right arm just won't stop with the vibrating feeling. I also noticed that at my job I have a very hard time picking up change and it just seems to be progressing. I am so so worried. I can't even really eat anymore because I'm so worried/stressed over this. I just want to have my EMG right now so I can make plans about what to do.

You said "ALS popped up along with 8 million other things" on Google.

I advise you to worry about 7,999,999 things that are not ALS. ALS is rare. In a 20-year-old, it's unheard of.

Thank you for being so incredibly kind to me. I'm sure you guys are fed up with people posting threads like these on the forums. I'm just extremely frustrated. My mom died of cancer almost 2 years ago now and a huge fear of mine is a long good-bye of a dibilitating disease. Plus I'm extremely frustrated with not being able to use my right arm like I used to. /= so thanks for putting up with my crazy. I will try not to post until after I go to the neuro and hear some things back.

Was diagnosed with essential tremor disorder. Effecting my right hand and the trunk of my body. Thanks guys for putting up with my nonsense and being a great help.

Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back