Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Glossop
Hi I am 38 I have been having issues for about 12 months now. Started with muscle twitching. Like all over hand arms legs shoulder. I’ve had a numb sensation on my leg but not numb or weakness. I had an emg on just my leg. This has been like this for 12 months worse when sitting or lying. Had a lower back mri and brain mri. Both normal. The emg was satisfactory with no reflex in my ankles.i have reflex in my knees.

I had a brain mri. I have stiffness in my hands which feels a bit uncomfortable hands sort of seize up when in an awkward position. I feel I have muscle wastage in my hand there is an indent on top of my wrist on one hand. I have no issues doing buttons and using my index finger and thumb.

My muscle twitches have got worse. I could see it this morning in the palm of my hand (left)and the back of my calf (right).

I do have health anxiety and have been worrying I have als for about 12 months. My main concerns are the wide spread twitching. My hands and what I feel looks like muscle wastage. My arms ache slight when raised up I can raise them. I have a baby who is 1 is carry her around a lot in my left arm. Also sleep with her which sometimes I suppose would leave me sleeping in an uncomfortable position. I am not aware of anyone in my family having this condition.

My drs haven’t really been to helpful. I will request another emg or my hand possibly. I am awaiting for upper spine mri. I have had general bloods, liver and kidney function. All ok aside from low iron. I will request a more specific blood test.

I was wondering if that I should be worried about als.
I am sorry to post here Google brought me to this page.
I know to some it may feel insensitive I am just out of my mind with worry and feel I am getting no where.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Hi Nicole, you seem to have answered a lot of your own questions. Holding a baby and sleeping in that stiff position can certainly affect your arms. You can find a lot of exercises on YouTube to help loosen up your fingers, wrists, shoulders, and elbows, which will generally improve the stiffness/stamina and possibly twitching.

Then it is not unusual for twitching to spread to your legs for many reasons -- including focusing on it, of course. And with a baby, sleep can be at a premium, which doesn't help.

I see no reason for another EMG nor for ALS concern, but would focus on things you can do to feel better in this.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have been referred to a neurologist to check out all my symptoms.

I am concerned about the hand atrophy I did start getting some strange twitching around my thumb that’s kind of subsided but there is a definite difference in muscle in my left hand below my thumb and at the top of my hand between my index. I am concerned this is atrophy. Looks like the split hand on you tube.

I have had a spine mri today. I also get tingling and aching , sometimes cramps. Sometimes I arm feels dead when I wake up as if I have been lay on it but haven’t. I am hoping it’s carpel tunnel but when I’ve done the phelans test it’s negative. I don’t get the shock like pains just tingling: all I can hope is that it is from carrying my baby in my left arm a lot but I don’t know how that would explain my muscle loss. I have only just took note of it now so I don’t know what my hand looked like 12 months ago as I didn’t know anything about atrophy. To me it’s getting worse daily.

My left hand is slightly weaker but it’s not my dominant side hence why I hold my baby in this arm and use my right for everything else. I have been trying to pick small things up with my atrophied hand to see if I notice any weakness. I am going to ask for a CK blood test and emg on my hand to see. I really appreciate you reading and replying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back