Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Easton
My mom told me this week that she can't get up from chairs anymore. I was REALLY hoping to avoid any "big" equipment until she moves in with us in about 3 weeks, but the ALS apparently isn't fond of my schedule.
Anyway, our local ALSA loan closet has two lift chairs coming in, which we were waiting for, but again, we couldn't wait any longer. I just figured we'd have Medicare pay for the lifting mechanism and we'd pay out of pocket for the rest (but I knew that even that would take a bit of time).
On a whim, I posted on Facebook asking if anyone had one they wanted to sell us (I haven't told people my mom has ALS).
Sure enough, we were offered not one, but TWO for free.
One was from one of my previous colleagues who's mom has MS and has been bed-bound for the last 5 years. It's used but in great conditions.
We got it today and I am so grateful, as is my mom.
They also have a powered sit to stand life that they will give us if we want. I saw the list price of $3700...how do you ever feel comfortable accepting something so expensive??

That's wonderful news. Accept it with gratitude and, some day, pay it forward.

You know sometimes people who give feel so good to be able to 'do something'. We all want to wave the magic wand that brings the cure and we can't. So they probably have a huge smile on their own face to know that they could make life a little more comfortable.

As Kim has wisely said - when your time with equipment you have purchased, or been given is done, do the same - gift these items to someone who needs them.

Offering money to someone who wants to gift the items to you will not make them happy, they want to do this. So accept graciously, maybe send them a photo of your mum really comfy in the chair too, that will give them an even bigger smile as they know their gift has achieved the goal.

I love news about good deeds. May it inspire more of us ! !

People give things because they want too!
Take it. a nice thank you note goes a long way.

wow nice gift it is.ost men like electronics, so maybe you could get him a cool "gadget" or a new, cool cell phone maybe a laptop or a camera

Yes, accept the gift and then pay it forward when you are able. It feels good to help someone who needs help, and if money is not needed, it feels bad to accept it from someone who is struggling. I'm so happy for you!!!

Take it and love it! A sit to stand lift that was loaned to us was a life saver for us. We were able to use it for a couple of years before moving on to hoyer/overhead lift. We've been gifted all sorts of necessary items and also found some great deals on craigslist for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back