very thick saliva in back of throat ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coke helps. Also, juice like Peach/Mango.

Tracy

We also use a baby nasal aspirator (long thin nozzle) and the fast-dissolve (ODT) loratadine (Claritin generic; cheaper when you buy house brands). All non-ODT pills are dissolved in VitaminWater. Be careful w/ the Claritin D as the decongestant ingredient can dry up more than you want long-term.

>We also use a baby nasal aspirator (long thin nozzle) and the fast-dissolve (ODT) loratadine (Claritin generic; cheaper when you buy house brands). All non-ODT pills are dissolved in VitaminWater. Be careful w/ the Claritin D as the decongestant ingredient can dry up more than you want long-term

thanks, Laurie!

Drinking a little coke does help with gunk. I also use coke to clean out my peg everyday. I figure if it can clean a car battery it should clean a peg

That's one of things I like about this forum, different ideas for what has worked for others. If one thing doesn't work there are plenty of other things to try, even though no one thing works for everybody.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I was getting that thick, glue like saliva too! It's great to know I can come here and get help like this!

I take Mucinex, and chew on papaya enzymes. That really seems to thin out that heavy mucus in my throat. you are not alone in facing this problem

>I take Mucinex, and chew on papaya enzymes. That really seems to thin out that heavy mucus in my throat. you are not alone in facing this problem

I am now doing both (tried the Coca-Cola idea, gag). Sandy also stopped one of the pills she was giving me, something like glycopyrite or something like that.

no change, but now every three days or so ... searching for a pattern.

My ALS rep told me yo try meat tenderizer on the toung?! SLP said pineapple.. got suction machine today, that definitely helped but wiped him right out! Anyone else have this? Not sure if that's normal or from whatever virus he's picked up..

where do you get papaya enzymes?

>where do you get papaya enzymes?

I think Sandy got ours at gnc or heb ...

I use chewable papaya enzyme from GNC whenever I get that thick stuff that almost chokes me. It works great for me. Normal dose is up to 9 daily. I take 5 when I get thick stuff. If not better in a few, I take 4 more.
Dr. Bedlack at Duke had told me about papaya juice in 2009 and I tried it, but it would go bad in fridge and didn't have any on hand when I needed help, so I found the enzymes. I have some in my purse in case I need to Thin the secretions when I am out.

I don't take everyday, just when I have a problem with the thick stuff. In the fall I tend to take more because of allergies .

I also use a tongue scraper before and after I eat.

You can find papaya in the supplements section of pretty much any drug store. We use the Natrol brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back