• Memoriam wall
    • We've created a memoriam wall to remember our friends
    • If you know someone that battled ALS, please add them here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello David. I am sorry for you loss. I like the parting shot your Dad left, though. Makes me want to plan one of my own for when my time comes. :-D Cindy

Love your sense of humor Cindy. My Dad always sang the song "Keep on the sunny side of life". Even during his all too brief battle with this disease, he sang it daily until he couldn't sing anymore. How anyone could keep his humor and smile through all this is almost beyond me, but he did. He never complained or snapped at anyone. He just made the best of each day. Here's an article on him that ran in the Baltimore Sun today in case anyone cares to read it.

Baltimore Sun

Strangely enough, we've encountered so many people in the past year who have relatives who have died of ALS. At least 4 of my Dad's peers in the auto repair industry that my Dad knew over the years died of ALS. Makes me wonder about environmental/chemical causes.

Not to weird anyone out, but having read through a number of near death experiences as one of the ways I prepared myself for my Dad's end, that and lots of prayer, I had decided that if I was there (one of the things I specifically prayed for) that I would talk to Dad afterward believing that his spirit would be there for a bit observing before the draw of Heaven would pull him to the Lord. So I was able to tell him I loved him and that we'd make sure to take care of Mom always, that kind of thing. The hospice nurse came in later and said most of them did the same thing for patients. Their experiences led them to conclude that their patients could hear and experience things just after their deaths for a bit. The power chair thing kind of convinced me that Dad had hung around long enough to have heard me :) I'm confident he'll be able to tell me one way or another when my turn comes.

David

David,
I am so sorry for your loss.

It has been awhile since I have been on the forum. I check in every once in a while. The forum was so helpful to me after Mother was diagnosed with ALS. Here's my story, David: My mother died last January 30th. Her last week was spent in the hospital and she told dad, my sister, and I goodbye after we all prayed the rosary together the night of January 29th. She died the next morning at 8:40am. She was 82 years old.
My sister, brother-in-law and dad stayed in Texas taking care of things after the funeral for three weeks.
During that time, a lady from a neighboring town came to check on my father to see how he was doing with the hearing aid she had fitted him with. I had never met her before, but she was a real sweetheart, a jovial type individual. She started to tell us of another time when she had come to check on dad and his hearing aid. (This was on the second day of Mother's time in the hospital.) She said she rang the doorbell at the front door and there was no answer. So she walked down the sidewalk and peered into their dining room window. (Cindy and I had gone outside together to talk about this because when she originally told a bit of the story inside there was no response from my sister and brother-in-law and my 85 year old dad just was not following it, so I had said "I believe" and eventually we went outside.)
So, we peered into the long window together and my dad happened to be standing in the kitchen and he waved at us. Cindy said,"when I peered into the window there was a woman standing in that exact same spot as your dad is now and she waved me to come inside, so I went around to the garage door and again rang the doorbell. This time your dad answered and I said where was the lady that waved at me? Your dad said he didn't know. There was no one there, but him." So, I said to Cindy, "who did the lady look like?" And she said,"your mother. But she was not in her wheelchair, she was standing." I said, "how did you know it was her?" Cindy said, "I had seen her before, but she was always in her wheelchair." I said, "what did she have on?" (My Mother was always impeccably dressed.) She said, "she was wearing a white dress to the knees."

My mother died five days later.

God bless everyone on this forum,

Kathy

I hope that my husbands guitars will play one more time...........I too cried and laughed at the same time....I know that the commode too would be crushed.....He HATES that with a passion....I hope to hear his guitars though...........God how he could play.....He says the best guitars are in heaven......Thanks again for the laughter...In this living hell, you got to laugh at some of the strangest things..........My prayers go out to you and your family....
God Bless

Kathy- I am filled with goosbumps. You hear so many of these kinds of stories there must be something to them.

Kathryn, Cindy and Freddiesnetty,

I hear you! My Dad loved cars. He worked on them his whole life as a mechanic and owned this '34 Dodge since he was 18.

zoom=proportional

With ALS, one of the first things to go was his powerful mechanic hands that really was one of his trademark traits. The night he died, his hsopice priest (not knowing he died yet) had a very vivvid dream of Dad smiling and leaning on this beautiful antique car, then he hopped in and drove down the road. He could barely tell my Mom that story at the funeral cause he said it was so real.

In talking with my Mom last night, she conveyed how an entire week before her mother died years ago, she'd be sitting with her at the hospital and her mother would just start talking to her mother who'd died years earlier as if she was right there, then she'd stop and turn to my Mom and glance around and say "oh, I'm still here, I'd thought I was home". My Mom would ask her what home she was talking about and she'd just grin and say, "You know, that permanent home."

I suspect that near the end, the spirit sometimes can drift between the two worlds. My mother-in-law spoke to her Mom's spirit face to face as she died. She was asleep in another room and was awakened by her Mom's spirit who told her "So long, it was time to go now. They told me I needed to leave now." My mother-in-law got up and went into the room and saw that she had died.

So I'm convinced of Heaven and that those loved ones who've gone ahead meet you.

Thanks so much for all your well-wishes and condolences all.

David

Nice car! I bet your Dad enjoyed tking care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back