00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Coles Notes version of my story:

Began twitching in Sept 2011, have been worried about various areas of my body since then. Multiple EMGs of my request, all fine.

A year ago at this time, was experiencing left shoulder discomfort, and perceived weakness. Had two EMGs by two different facilities, again at my request, and both showed no issue with shoulder, and thus was told that the issue was musculoskeletal in nature. Symptoms seemed to disappear after the EMGs.

Fast forward to now. Am experiencing shoulder issues again, same area. Can still do push ups, etc., but when I strength test, my left shoulder feels weaker again. Husband states that the strength feels the same in both arms, but to me, there feels to be a difference.

Am petrified that what was not MND with these symptoms last year now is. What an awful coincidence that would be.

My last EMG whatsoever was about six months ago in the left leg. Last EMG of left shoulder was just under a year ago.

Opinions?

Clean emg means no als, that being said if you are concerned go to the dr. If you can still do push ups after this long then very doubtful it is als. Self testing does no good but cause stress and fear. Go to the dr and get checked and if dr says no als then you should believe him/her. I wish you peace.

With all due respect, please read the thread you started on November 18, 2011:

desperate not to be scared

You candidly admitted to having hypochondria. You received advice from the best of the best
Al, Trfogey, Alyoop, Rose, Tedh5 to name a few

Please, get the counselling you once agreed to seek. By my reckoning you are a 26 year old with a sore shoulder.

Thanks for the reply.

Did some research and am going to try to be reasonable about this. Rotator cuff strains/tears appear to cause weakness and are not always accompanied by pain. Here's hoping that is my issue.

I suppose I should also focus on the fact that I had this very same issue last year, that turned out to be a benign one, thus it's possible that the same issue is repeating itself. I had the EMG in this shoulder less than a year ago, and from what I understand of that test, it is predictive far before symptoms appear.

If you perceive a difference in your strength but your husband doesn't, you're probably ok. Clinical weakness goes the other way.

If it is the same pain as a year ago, If it was ALS, there would be no way you could do,a push up. ALS is progressive, which means it continues to get worse, until the limb us paralyzed. Then it moves to the next limb. My husband had a torn rotator cuff, which was caused by ALS, and his EMG was dirty. By the time he had ENG, he was unable to open a bottle of water, hold a cup of coffee, or turn the car key in the ignition. You would have progression to other limbs by now.

Thanks, Sadie.

They do believe its a rotator cuff issue of some sort, that I didn't treat properly last year, and thus has returned. I realize that progression is,usually distal to proximal, but I know,it's not always that way, which is why I was concerned.

I actually did have an EMG done again on the shoulder. The doctor said the results were normal, so I'm hoping if any changes were present, he would have had to tell me about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back