AL and ALS Article and slide show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al,
That was a good video and glad to meet you.
I noted your hands and was wondering, when it started to bother you and how? My mom complains of her thumbs and that her hands are getting very weak.
I saw your forks looked bent also. That is something you did or bought?
Great narration.
Kewanee

Hi Kewanee and all the others. First thank you for your kind thoughts. When I first was contacted about it I never realized that it was going in the National paper. I have gotten calls from both sides of the country. It's not so much about firefighting but ALS and awareness and helping people. One of the calls was from a gentleman that had lost the use of some his fingers from frostbite when he had an accident and was stranded for hours in -21 degree weather. He was interested in my software programs that I use for typing. I felt so good that I was able to help someone who lives in a remote part of Canada with a problem.
As for the silverware Lee got some dollar store items and my brother experimented with them in a vice until they were the right angle for my hand with the brace on. Ours work great and the store bought ones are about $10 or $15 at the handicapped store so for the price of 1 we got lots and we have found that they need adjusting once in a while due to more atrophy but for a dollar that's not a problem.
AL.

Last edited:
Wow! What an amazing interview and slide show Al. Thank you so very much for being brave enough to put yourself out there and do this.

re: slideshow

Hi Al, What a great article and video. You sound great, your voice is strong and still looking healthy!Finally there is more awareness. Did you get the article from our papers here Jack made front page. We had so much response to the newspaper articles too. You are the BEST! Beebe

True story- I read that story when it first went to press (I'm a Canadian too and I read the globe daily)

If you go to www.globeandmail.com and scroll down to ALS Coincidence or Connection there is an article about Firefighters and ALS and a slideshow featuring Lee and I talking about living with ALS. It is in one of Canada's largest National papers so the awareness is great. AL.

Where did this video go, I cannot find it anymore?

Go to the link www.globeandmail.com then type in ALS and firefighting and click on the smoke fire and Lou Gehrigs disease link and the slideshow link is about half way down the page on the left.
AL.

Thinking Cap

Here's a nice newspaper article:
< http://www.newsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071003/NEWS/71003039>

Hello Al. I am new to this site and just saw the footage on globemail.com. I want to thank you for your dedication as a FF. My grandfather, father are both retired FF from Baltimore City in Maryland USA and my brother is FF in a local county. I am visiting this site b/c my husband may have a MND. We are still waiting for diagnosed but have been dealing with a great loss in his lower mobility for over 2 yrs now. I am very happy to find this forum as a means of support and am thankful for people like you. God Bless.

Glad to have you aboard J but sorry about your husband. Hope we can help in some way.
AL.

Great article & video Al. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I'm a little behind on the forums I try to read alittle every chance I get. My dad wasn't a firefighter, he was in the service they say there seems to be a link to vets also. Reading the article makes you wonder though. Could he have inhaled some chemical when his house (trailor) caught fire and he kept going back in over and over to get things out, until he was choaking on the smoke. :confused:

Hi Grace. Thanks. From what I understand the military is starting to realise there may be a connection to ALS and service in certain areas. Your dad should check the Vets Administration.
AL.

They were looking into some studies but, he passed away to fast, in aug. only 6 months after diagnosed. He left his remains to ALS research. We haven't heard anything about his autopsy. I'm sorry to sound so gloomy, but I'm not sure if my children, grandchildren or I could get it. I've heard some types run in families also. He had a cousin who had it soooo.... of corse I'm jumping to conclusions. I just wish there were more research & research dollars looking into it. Take care, God bless, and thanks for the reply.

Hi Grace. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I thought he was still with you but I guess in some ways he still is. More people do need to donate their bodies or at least some parts to research. My clinic and the U of Toronto are trying to get a small brain tissue and spinal cord sample from ALS patients. They have 20 out of 500 patients signed up. Money is needed for research but they also need something to do research on. They need the cooperation of the patients and families. It isn't just about the money.
AL

Al,

I have been reading your posts for the past 4 years, you are truely an amazing person! You were a fireman! you have the hero gene in you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back