AL and ALS Article and slide show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donate organs for ALS research?

I checked into donating my organs for ALS research and was told the expense of removing the organs, preparing them properly, and transporting them to a research facility would have to be paid for by my family. I was told the cost could run as high as $20,000.

There is no way my family could afford this. There is no ALS research facility near us, so a local Doctor would have to do the procedure according the exact guidelines set up by each lab or else the organs would be of no use to them.

Hey, if they want my brain , spinal cord, whatever; the least they could do is pay for the procedure and not saddle my family with the cost.:confused:

How do you feel about this?

God Bless
Capt AL

My Neuro has asked for a limited autopsy. They will pick me up so that no more than 12 hours passes between death and harvesting of a small piece of brain and spinal cord tissue. They will return my body to wherever the family requests at their expense. Sunnybrook Hospital and the University of Toronto are involved in research.
They need more samples though. They are willing to wait for mine. I'm not done with them yet.
AL.

My Neuro has asked for a limited autopsy. They will pick me up so that no more than 12 hours passes between death and harvesting of a small piece of brain and spinal cord tissue. They will return my body to wherever the family requests at their expense. Sunnybrook Hospital and the University of Toronto are involved in research.
They need more samples though. They are willing to wait for mine. I'm not done with them yet.
AL.

This is exactly what was done. Only it was the University of Pitts & It was (I think) paid for by Center for ALS Research. He was taken from Va hospital WV to Pitts Univ and then back to WV. :( I miss him terribly. It all happened so fast. I was still in denial that it was really ALS. I'm just now starting to think of questions I wish I could have, would have asked. Blessings to all

Well Grace you can still ask questions here. You may find it therapeutic.
AL.

That was a good article. A great slideshow. Thanks for all the work you do on this form you are awesome! :-D

Great article AL and who was that handsome guy in the wheelchair? I know it can't be you. :-D
Makes me wonder about the 8 years I was a firefighter in Pensacola, Florida and all the fires we went into without the air packs on. My best fireman friend is now retired with 30% lung capacity. He and I went into many of the same fires, involving chemical plants and who knows what we breathed?

I think you are right on the money with the association of the breathing ? and the link to ALS.

Again you did a great job. You are a credit to all your fellow firemen and to all of us who rely on you so much for guidance, encouragement, and even sometimes a little slap on the wrist, if we need it, on this great forum. Keep up the good work my friend.

I wish I had an award icon I could give you. This is about the only one in my collection that comes close. You are like the Mighty Eagle soaring over us and giving us protection and direction.
AL-avatar-010.gif

God Bless
Capt AL

Last edited:
Thanks buddy.
AL.

Thank you!

Al...your slideshow was wonderful! And, I loved to hear your voice. Thank you for sharing.

If you go to www.globeandmail.com and scroll down to ALS Coincidence or Connection there is an article about Firefighters and ALS and a slideshow featuring Lee and I talking about living with ALS. It is in one of Canada's largest National papers so the awareness is great. AL.

Excellent article Al. Looking for the slide show.. But excellent article in the firefighters.. Let me ask you a question.. is there a firefighter we could get to be a spokes person for ALS in this province?
Mike

If you found the article, the slideshow link is next to a small red maple leaf about half way down the page on the left. Other than me I haven't seen anyone interested in opening up about ALS in the firefighting community. What did you have in mind?
AL.

GrampAl
I read the article and watched your film God Bless you for always sharing........
I hope you enjoy this holiday season (and your grandbaby is as cute as a button) with your family

Donna
Caretaker of Ben
New Jersey

blocked from atrophy pictures

I would like to see your hand slide show, Al, but I am told "you do not have access" to this page, then says the reason could be if I am trying to edit someone else's post, and list s some other possibilities. Honest, I just wanted to see the pictures. Maybe it's my machine? Any suggestions.

Over the months since last May when I was diagnosed with ALS, I have appreciated Al's posts, as well as others. coolr

hi al
ive just seen your story and slide show,its great to see you in person. you are a true inspiration in what you do on here and your possative attitude to life. even though i have pls for 8yrs, you pals are an inspiration to me and i like to look in and see how you all are.if anyone else wants to look i had to type "als connection" in search.
hope you are with us for many more years
take care,god bless
caroline

Sorry coolr. Just saw your post today. David was triying to fix that link on the weekend. Can you let me know if it works. Also thanks Caroline.
AL.

Hi Al,
I was just able the video clip on globeandmail.com. The photography is amazing, just as you are and your story. Thank you for the insight.
Warmest,
gemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back