Normal EMG but abnormal NCS...has this happened to anyone else here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEB1979

Country
US
State
PR
City
San Juan
My EMG results came back, and the doctor's impression (she's not a neurologist), was sensory-motor peripheral neuropathy. Even though I have tons of fasciculations, the EMG did not catch any of them. Her comments state "Study showed normal motor velocities, decreased amplitudes, and normal latencies. At SNAPs (sensory nerve action potentials) showed normal latencies and decreased amplitudes. Impression: Sensory-Motor Peripheral Neuropathy."

I can't make heads or tails of the comments, but reading up on sensory-motor peripheral neuropathy it says that ALS is sometimes mistaken for it, which has me scared. What I find confusing is that the EMG didn't pick up any fasciculations, even though they're clearly visible on my skin. From what I've read, the test should take 60 to 90 minutes to perform, but I was in and out of the doctor's office in about 10 or 15 minutes.

You may need to see a neuro. Take the results of the tests with you.

I already have a neurologist's appointment, but it's not until the end of November. Do you think this could be ALS-related?

I am not a dr, but I don't think so. I can't remember but you have no weakness right?

No noticeable weakness (my right arm 'feels' weak, but the doctor said it isn't clinical weakness), though I seem to get tired more easily these days. Lots of fasciculations, mostly in my calves, but also intermittently on my hands, neck, face, even my tongue.

Last edited:
Well I would doubt you have als if you have no clinical weakness. I am not a dr and I am not saying you don't have something going but it could be anything. Try and relax until your neuro appt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back