Form of progression, one sided or both limbs first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sral

Distinguished member
Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
n/a
Country
CA
State
ontario
City
toronto
I've always wondered why there was a difference in how PLS progresses and if there was any connection to speed.

For instance, my mom's first symptoms were bulbar and 18 months later started in her right foot and leg. From the right leg it moved to the left foot and leg. Both her legs were affected at almost the same time but one side was more pronounced first and then the other.

I read alot though how it moves from the right arm to right leg and then the other side or the right leg and then the right arm. I just find it odd how for some it's one sided and then moves and for others it affects both sides for the specific limb and then moves on.

I was just wondering if anyone has thought of this.

hi sral.
from research i have done ,in pls progression tends to start either as bulbar (corticobulbar) or limb (legs) onset (corticospinal).
this should be symmetric and progress gradually in a manner consistant with corticobulbar and corticospinal tract dysfunction.
that is if it starts in the legs it spreads up,bulbar spreads down.
progression can range anywhere from a few years to decades.
i took about 7-8yrs from my legs upto bulbar.
everyone is different in progression (speed)but spasticity ,stiffness ect is symmetrical though one area could feel worse than others .
alot of it is also to do with the umn lesions ,how bad they are and were they are.
i do have info on this somewhere and will try and find it out if it will help

hope this helps:smile:

Thanks Olly.

I guess my mom is an exception because she got the bulbar symptoms and then it moved to the feet and started back up.

By the way, what I was trying to communicate by this thread (and probably did a poor job at explaining) is that I don't understand why some people have an entire side affected first, i.e. arm, hand, leg and foot and only after all of one side is impacted it moves to the other side. Whereas for others like my mom it affects a leg and then moves to the other leg before going to another limb. I just find it odd how it all works.

I think Olly you're right that it has to do where the lesions are and what part of the brain is impacted. I just don't think that there is a clear definition of progression as stated on different PLS sites.

Thanks for your feedback Olly. It's MUCH appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back