Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking today and I had to say the word "Molecular Biology" The Molecular kind of slurred out i guess you could say. I didnt pronounce it right. I had to stop and say the word a bit slower and now I can pronounce it just fine. Is this an example of slurred speech? I am unsure of the definition.

In ALS, slurred speech is obvious to your friends because the tongue is paralyzed.
Look in the mirror, move your tongue up, down, left, right.
And it doesn't get better by thinking carefully about it, or by trying harder. ALS never gets better.

I understand. I have never really heard what slurred speech sounded like. I do listen to podcasts and this one person I listen to sometimes jumbles his words really fast. Sometimes I do see people on youtube mispronounce a word only to correct themselves. I do talk fast and my mind does think rather fast as well.

So now that I can pronounce the word better thats a good sign? I also have sometimes a raspy voice but this is due to allergies. I was able to talk to people today just fine with no slowness and didnt jumble my words. Except that one word.

I apologize for asking so much but I Googled what this disease was and got rather worried as sometimes i do have some weird one off events.

About my quads twitching, they stopped completely yesterday I believe. I would rest a backpack on my legs on the train into work and this is a heavy backpack. I decided to put it on the floor instead and everything has felt fine. I am guessing if it were anything more sinister the twitching wouldnt get better or go away? I also did that with my tongue and was able to move it around although moving it up is difficult. I used to be able to touch my nose :(

OK, Crab. I think we've reached the point in this thread where everybody who wants to comment has had that chance, and the consensus is pretty clear: You don't have to worry about ALS.

If you're still concerned about any kind of disease, you should take it to a GP medical doctor.

Will do. I will singout. If I have any odd weaknesses like i cant pick up something or type or walk, I will come back.

Thank you once again for the help. Take care!

Sorry I am back with a new symptom of some sort. A week ago I bent my knees down a little too far and my calf muscle hurt and it felt like maybe a muscle contraction in the back calf. It wasn't a Charlie horse. They hurt like hell. Now sometimes when I am sitting or o stand up I feel like there is a quick tightness in my leg and then it goes away. When I put my hand down there to feel the muscle, everything feels fine and I don't feel a contraction with my hand. I searched for muscle tightness and came across spacticity. I can walk fine on the leg and am still able to run and walk everywhere with no changes in gait. There is no pain so I am not sure if this is tightness feeling is caused by the weight I put on my calfs, or something else. I might go to the doctor however with no pain I am unsure if it's worth it. I understand this could be an early symptom?

Twitching has gotten better however.

hon, you are convincing yourself but no one else.

ALS does not begin this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back