Tipover #8 -- in the ER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Becky-- not AGAIN! This must be a record.

I am happy he was not seriously injured. Hope you enjoyed your bath and wine.

Sharon

Pete, I hope someone gave them hell after leaving you flat for so long! I hate allowing Matt out of my sight for just that reason, but they REALLY don't like the tag-along spouse. Sigh---I think they are going to have to get used to it.

This is one reason I like the small local hospital. The gal at the registration desk rememberd that he'd been in the day before for X-rays. Another visit or two and the entire ER staff will know him.

I was also impressed that the nurses made sure I had a van to transport him and a lift at home to move him with before discharging him. We had to choose between three hospitals equal distance away for immediate care--I'm happy with this one. Unfortuantely, in an emergency this is not where the ambulance crew will take him, so I joke that I"m going to drag him two houses over (and through the woods) before calling so he gets transported to the right place.

Becky,
There are ways to finagle the catchment area issue for ER. Call or e-mail the local EMS director and ask for a letter in advance that you could show the paramedics, superceding their usual boundaries, throwing around terms like ALS and complex history. They may want a contact at the good hospital to verify their acceptance.

In extremis, if you tell the paramedics all his records are at the good hospital, talk about ALS a lot and generally intimidate them, you can probably also get results.

And with imaging or any other procedure, I always just acted as if and kept walking. Not a trailing spouse, but the essential care coordinator who saves them time. I can't think of the last time anyone kicked me out.

Now it seems strange to say, but because Chris's speech was so poor, then non-existent to anyone else (and barely existent even to me), all health professionals were very happy to have me there and involved in everything.

I agree with Laurie too that I acted as though it was a given that I would be glued to him, and never asked if it was OK.

To be honest, here, nursing staff were more than happy to have me around as they could lighten their load by leaving everything to me. At least then when I had to call a nurse they were usually pretty good because I was doing nearly everything anyway.

I only remember one giving me a snide comment about 'you carers make rods for your own backs' - because I was going to shower him. I looked her in the eye and said - my husband is terminal, I will do anything he needs, it is my pleasure, and it won't be for long. She sure put her eyes down and got out that room fast!

I think it is well worth looking into how you can ensure Matt can be taken to the hospital of your choice - it makes a HUGE difference.

Bless you both, Becky!! Good to hear nothing was broken!! Hope you got to enjoy your wine!! Praying for you both!!

Love and prayers,
Sheila

My wife did try to back with me but got "sorry mam but..." speech. When I told her what happened she did give them and anyone els who would listen an ear full.

I am glad I read this thread. Steve's peg surgery is Thursday. It is with the doc who questioned where I got my information about doing the peg before FVC was to low. He is a cold doctor. I understand their being objective and not getting involved in emotions BUT...I am not stupid and do not need to be treated that way. I will fully expect him to involve me when we get to the hospital for his surgery. It's not negotiable.

I was glued to Steve. When he had to have a ct scan, I brought the trilogy. They didnt appreciate my navigating and advocating for Steve but too bad. He had jis ct on his side using jis trilogy. The tech then manually manipulated the pictures. This takes time so it isnt offered but it can be done.

Deb glue yourself to him, and see if you can win over a nurse in the department quickly as that really helps. They tend to really like chocolates .... just sayin

Becky, that brings ouch to my mind!! Was your man adventurous in his former self?? Hope you enjoyed the bliss of being able to take a bath with a wine ? With your luck, you better make the glass an acrylic one!! ( just in case!! )( trying to bring a smile to you)

LOL...lots of acrylic glasses around here :)

As an aside, I bought Matt an acrylic two handled mug some months ago and stashed it in the closet without him seeing it. After the shoulder injury, I just put it out with his coffee in it and he drank it. We didn't discuss it, but I could see that he was grateful to have something lighter to drink from. He still hasn't seen the sippy cup lid--hopefully he wont for a long time.

Matt has never before been presented with a challenge that he didn't rise to and overcome, so he's determined to wring every possible minute out of every day--and I think he LOVES collecting the stories of his adventures. We really should write a book. This one would be titled Be Careful What You Ask For :)

I had the Trilogy with me, along with a tote full of medical information--just in case. It's my "Matt Go Box". Apparently they did a good job in X-ray. They had put him on a slide sheet on the gurney so they could pull him straight across to the CT table. He said he bumped going over. Not too bad, but I will go with him next time.

Laurie, thank you for the advice about working with EMS in advance. On top of everything you mentioned, this one we like is much closer to both Duke and the VA hospital in case he needs to be transferred.

Some of you might remember my car accident in January, when I turned right into an oncoming car. I recognized several of the crew who responded. I was the offender and the woman I hit is married to a local volunteer fireman, so I felt very shunned. This time they were focused on Matt and did a great job. Perhaps, if they recognized me, they now understand a little better (even if they can't forgive). Fortunately there were no injuries from that accident.

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back