Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
Good morning,

My name is Chris and I am a 29 year old male. This morning I saw my PCP and advised him of my concerns about ALS. My symptoms are as follows:

1) Very noticeable twitching that lasts for a few minutes in each elbow, each forearm, left shoulder, right thigh, and right foot.
2) Each arm feels very shaky, and sometimes is shaky
3) Over last month have felt left knee buckle on multiple occasions
4) Tight left calf muscle and thigh

After performing strength tests my doctor stated I was fine and did not recommend any type of further examination. He stated he believed my twitching to be from stress and anxiety. My job is very low stress so I am left slightly confused.

Would you recommend a second opinion? Thank you so much for your time, I greatly appreciate it.

I don't see anything to suggest ALS, but if you develop weakness, you can certainly return now that he has your baseline. Meanwhile, a few bananas could do no harm.

Thank you so much for your response, truly appreciate it! Just to clarify though, knee buckling is not a sign of weakness?

Not in isolation, no.

Good morning, hope you are enjoying your weekend. I went and saw a second PCP this morning because of the following:

1) I developed a burning sensation in my left foot/ankle/toes that comes and goes
2) a tremor from time to time in each forearm and hand
3) noticed my right arm and pinky/ring finger are numb/asleep each morning upon and harder to move, almost like the fingers pop in and out of the joint. The numbness/asleep goes away after a few minutes.

The same physical exams were performed and the same conclusion of anxiety/stress was given. At this point do I need to just trust the 2 doctors and leave ALS behind? Thank you again for your input!

Thank you for posting that, I appreciate it. I also told my doctor I experienced an unbalanced feeling while walking/standing, legs get weak after a few moments of bending at the knee, and a weird tickling sensation in my knees. Has anyone ever experienced those before early on? My doctor brushed them off as well.

Sounds like some strength training or PT is in order. A PT or trainer can evaluate you and suggest a supervised or at-home regimen to help.

So unrelated to als as well?

Time to stop posting here- you've been answered, and don't seem to be able to take in the reassurances. Please continue working with your doctor- who can actually provide you information about what they observe with a clinical exam. You are asking folks on the internet if you have ALS- they say no. As does your doctor. Not sure what more reassurance you need, but asking it from strangers on the internet isn't appropriate or helpful to your needs in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back