Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Mike. Eloquent. Thanks a lot.
It's just there are personal stories here of having symptoms for a long time, or taking ages to be diagnosed, so the person notices a problem but the doctors can't commit to a diagnosis or whatever, so I was wondering how things present themselves officially. I've had problems moving my leg for months, and it is getting worse but I can still stand on my tip toes, I just can't walk for long, plus there are agonising cramps (which doesn't nec. fit the picture you're talking about).
Is the nerve conduction test as relevant for MND/ALS or is the EMG the biggie?
J

there are personal stories here of having symptoms for a long time, or taking ages to be diagnosed...
Is the nerve conduction test as relevant for MND/ALS or is the EMG the biggie?
J

There are plenty of personal stories here from people who are NOT diagnosed with ALS, therefore, I always read the person's short biography on the left side of their post and give them only the amount of credence deserved. A few of the folks on this site swear they've been on the verge of being diagnosed for years. There are a couple of people on the board whose advice is so far out in left field I call them out on it. Caveat emptor.

Your neuro may typically run both an NCS and an EMG while attempting to diagnose you. When diagnosing a fatal disease like ALS, they want to ensure they've ruled out everything else first. So they'll also run MRI's and possibly even a spinal tap. I'm not qualified to comment authoritatively on these at all, so I suggest you ask your doctor about them.

Doctors have a pretty well defined protocol telling them when and why to do what they do, and in what order they do it, so I suggest you follow up with the pro's, which we are not. Good luck.

>Doctors have a pretty well defined protocol telling them when and why to do what they do, and in what order they do it, so I suggest you follow up with the pro's, which we are not. Good luck.

:) Ditto that!

Been following as a NOOB. I know some of us new guys are a pain in the tail, but I cannot reitterate how much we appreciate the information.

So, had my EMG and Nerve Conduction study. I'm waiting for a follow up. But the EMG was fine, the Nerve conduction showed a slight deficit on the left side of my body, which makes sense cos it's the whole left side that's clinically weak.
I know this isn't an expert site, but from experience, does this suggest it's a nerve problem rather than a motor neurone one- keeping in mind the heaviest thing I can lift with my left arm is a bin bag and I can only walk for a few hundred yards before my left leg gets heavy.

I understand if no one wants to/or doesn't feel comfortable making a comment.
J

You've ruled out ALS. You'll live. And it's most probably treatable.
Good luck.

his suggests it is not a motor neuron problem.

Good news... but I would say severe weakness still needs to be diagnosed as it is an abnormal sign, and if it is treatable, as Mike suggests, you need to get on it. Good luck!

Thanks for that guys, yeah. Ive to go back in a few weeks for the follow up. Though I've had an MRI and that's clear. I'll let you know what it turns out to be, perhaps we can add it to the 'When it wasn't ALS' sticky post.

I would point out a rarity of Progressive Muscle Atrophy which is a Lower Motor Neuron disease that generally evolves into true ALS as the Upper Motor Neurons become involved. The prognosis is still grim; i.e. slim and none. But the onset is a little slower. I went that route. It is a distinction without a difference.

Thanks, Mediasmart- are you suggesting that this condition would not necessarily present on an EMG? I don't have any atrophy that I know of- mostly clinical weakness with tremor/fascic.

I didn't present on EMG for a year. Now I light up the screen. Atrophy is, however, a telltale. If you don't have it you don't got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back