Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ottawa
First off, just want to thank all the members who take the time to respond to all of the questions in here.

I should probably start by mentioning that 3 months ago I suffered a concussion. For the first 2 months, I was feeling the normal concussion symptoms; headaches, fogginess etc. I had a CT scan and everything came back normal.

Around 3 weeks ago, I got home from work and started to feel numbness in all of my extremities (both arms, and both legs). I visited my doctor the next day, and he couldn't really pinpoint the cause, and didn't seem to think it was caused by the concussion as it happened 2 months earlier and the numbness sensation was only starting now.

So for the past 3 weeks I've felt numbness/weakness in my arms/hands and legs, along with a general weakness in my extremities. I've noticed the numbness in my arms is the worst in the mornings when I wake up. Along with this, I have stiffness in both legs as I walk.

I've also felt slight twitches in different areas of my body (including my tongue, but that lasted a couple of days and has seemingly stopped), along with cramping in both my achilles, and groin area. My balance is fine, and I'm able to do my normal day activities, but my co-ordination does seem slightly off.

I've got an appointment with a neurologist, but it is a long wait, and in the mean time I am quite nervous.

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Nope, not ALS. Numbness is not a symptom. You don't have any symptoms of ALS. Work with your doc to find what else could be going on.

Codyclan is right, this is not ALS. Relax about that concern.

There are many other things that can cause your symptoms, but not ALS.

Keep that appointment, and good luck.

Not knowing what caused your concussion, it is not unusual to have delayed sensory/motor manifestations of trauma, which are appreciated more after your brain "wakes up" from its own trauma.

Is your work strenuous physically?

But as others have said, ALS doesn't seem in the picture in any respect. While you are waiting for the neuro appointment, I would certainly call your internist with any dramatic change, but also look to your dietary balance, stretching types of exercise/bodywork (not lifting or bouncing) and hydration. I would avoid alcohol and street drugs.

Meanwhile, I would not operate any dangerous tools or machinery.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

lgelb:
My concussion was caused by falling backwards playing baseball (trying to catch a ball), which resulted in whiplash.
With respect to my work, it is not strenuous at all, just a desk job.
Really do appreciate the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back