Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
FLORIDA
City
VERO BEACH
After 6 years, my wife, PALS was diagnosed with PBP, She lost her speech and has difficulty swallowing. Progression has been slow as she is having problems with her hands and legs. After seeing a new neuro last month she thinks she has PLS, She falls at least once a week and is too stubborn to listen about being careful. As of now, I am her only caregiver and it is getting more and more difficult to manage. I am trying to hire a caregiver and I am having a hard tine finding a good one that my wife would put up with. How many hours can I expect a caregiver to work and what can I expect them to do? What is the pay scale and how many hours can they be expected to work? I have many more questions but I would to get started with these. Thank you, David

David,
It is hard to generalize your questions. As with recruiting anyone, you decide hours per week and responsibilities if you hire them yourself. Maybe start with your budget and the things you know your wife needs the most that are hard for you to do. If you can specify what you and she are thinking, we might be more helpful.

If she falls every week, she needs a rollator at the very least. Use "I" statements to help her understand that you cannot function as well as a caregiver with the threat of a catastrophic fall always in your mind, and that an even greater risk is hers, as she would lose independence all the sooner.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back