I just fell...advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Laura, sorry about the fall. Hope your ok! Your fall is a wake up call for all of us, so thanks for sharing about it. Nothing is to small to mention that some one of us will get benefit from. Love ya chally

Dear Deb,

Thank you for your kind message.
I am doing okay...just a little bit sore now.
I feel so fortunate that something worse wasn't somehow part
of the outcome...
I feel this was a really good warning to get me to be more aware...
although I had already thought I was being careful from day to day...
But this incident taught me that this was a first for something that is
not safe for me to do NOW, although I had had no problems with it until just now.

Thank you...
Laura.

Hey, Chally...thank you for your nice note...I appreciate it...I'm just a little bit sore now.
I have to say, it sure was a wake up call for me!
Thank you for checking in...
Laura.

Hi Laura, Reality sets in when we find our limitations, often the hard way! Try to remember the trigger ( I often forget and then fall again!) and call a friend for help (ceiling light bulb change, other day to day stuff) as they want to contribute. Hope you are feeling better soon! all the best,
Margot

Thank you, Margot...
How kind of you to post your suggestion.
I'm sorry not to have written back to you sooner...
I've been away from the forum for a few days.

I am feeling much better from the fall now.
Thank you,
Laura.

Laura! Oh wow!
I'm glad you are feeling better from the fall...how scary for you!
Please take care...everyone...it's such a worry to hear about falls.
God bless, Janelle x

Laura,
Glad to hear that you are OK after your fall. MDH fell while I was at a doc's appointment. He was on the floor for an hour in a pool of blood and could not get up. We got an "alert button" and he got big instructions to sit in his recliner till I get home! CiCi

Thank you, Janelle and CiCi, for your kind, caring,
and supportive messages.

CiCi, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's fall.
I hope he has recovered from it completely.

I truly am fine now as far as the fall goes. :)
It was quite a while ago, now.

And I certainly feel so very fortunate...
there could have been serious consequences.
I know that.
I consider myself very lucky!

Take care both of you,
And thanks,
Laura.

Hi Laura,
So glad to hear you have healed from your fall. Ironically, I have had two bad falls since I posted my advice! Lesson learned for me is to always have something to grab on to in the house, to help with balance.
All the best,
Margot

Margot, I hope the lesson you learn is to use walking aids like a rollator. Don't underestimate how quickly a fall can happen and grabbing something can end up in a worse injury. I hope you stay safe xx

My pals has been lucky with his falls. They have all happened when he didnt use his tools..both walker and then power chair. This causes great distress for cals when your loved one falls. All sorts of things run thru your head. BE good to yourselves and your cals and use your tools.

P.s. wall or furniture walking is not using your tools;)

Here's some real dangers....You can fall in a split second. I can't count how many times I've fallen and a lot I told no one. I kept thinking I've got to be more careful. I would for a while then BAM, I'm down again. I went to a cane( my putter) .....Labor Day I fell and broke my Neck, needed surgery. Then I bought a Hurrycane which was better but not enough. 2 weeks ago I hit my head on tile walls and floors 3 times in two days...I'm stiill having headaches but my bell is getting worn out. I've now got a Rollater, scooter and a $39,000 wheelchair.( How can a wheel chair cost that much??) My head is still Hard but bruised and dented. Try not to do as I do!!

Thanks Pecksco, good warnings. Sadly we have also had too many PALS die of head injuries, and it's a truly awful way to go.

Pecksco, thanks for posting, though sorry to hear about the injuries from your falls.

It sounds you might have knocked some sense into your head:)

Seriously, though, falls are very serious. I think we all go through that stage when we are sufficiently strong enough that if we pay really close attention we can reduce or eliminate falls.

The problem is we sometimes don't recognize that we have transitioned to the stage where we can fall no matter how careful we are.

The stories you have shared of your falls help remind us all of the reality we eventually face.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Thanks Gooseberry.
The message you sent gave me an 'aha moment'. I hadn't considered that the furniture I touch as I walk were not 'tools'. We have a very narrow house and there is most often something to 'grab' as I walk through it, all for balance. There is only one small space in the living room (5 foot radius) that is open and nothing to grab onto. That is where I went down, backwards, and hit my head on the piano, and then the bench. Was not fun! I will look into getting a walker for inside my house. I don' think my cane would have helped in that situation. I will also keep the cane with me within the house. Thanks again for pointing this out. And for giving perspective on the Cals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back