How do I tell my friends and family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
>When I did missionary work in Africa I visited a Leper colony and saw the devastation of that disease, but to the children their parents were beautiful

Paulette, you never cease to amaze! You need to start an "Our other adventures" thread. you tell about Africa and we'll tell you of our drive from Saudi to Switzerland :)

Max

back to the thread ...

Hi, Red --

>The first time that you are around your siblings and tell them, I suggest you do it away from her, so that they can feel free to cry and react. For example if someone is told bad news in front of a young child and they remain calm the child will as well, if that person reacts with tears and hysteria the child will as well. I hope this helps a bit, and know that you will be added to my prayers.

I think Paulette is right. In our case, I told my brothers, but the first one I told had already spoken to the others. As my speech isn't so good and I am a bit embarrassed by it, Sandy told the kids and then I sent her to visit them. They are 25 & 31.

sorry you have found yourself with us Red.
you have been given a lot of good advice.

I go to all my husbands doc apts. as we are in this together.

as for the baby, they are resilient and she will adapt to the new normal. Be honest with her when she asks questions, simple answers but honest. Who you are to her has not and will not change. As she matures in life the strength she sees in you as you are faced with this monumental challenge will make you even more her biggest hero.

> am a bit embarrassed by it, Sandy told the kids and then I sent her to visit them. They are 25 & 31.

now 26 & 32 :)

and Sandy, also, goes to all of my appts ...

HI Red. I'm so sorry you've had to join us, but welcome. If you haven't already told your wife, let me echo what others have said and encourage you to do so. My husband received his diagnosis during his first appointment with the neurologist; his PCP had done all the preliminary work and we had no idea that he would receive any kind of diagnosis that day (ALS had never been mentioned). I hate that he was alone, but he says it was actually easier for him that way because he could focus on what he was hearing and not on my reaction. He told me as soon as he got home, and it was a blow, but I think it would have been harder knowing he'd been carrying that burden any longer by himself. Our (adult) children are hours away and one was about to deploy for eight months, so we had a group Skype. He couldn't do it, so I did, and it was probably the most difficult thing I've ever done. The thing is, you just have to say it. I still have trouble telling people (but can discuss it calmly afterwards), but it seems the quicker I do it the more likely I can get through it without tearing up. Again, because of time and distance hubby used Skype to tell his dad and one sibling, the rest received phone calls. Close , nearby friends heard in person, but most read a one-time only post on Facebook.

My heart goes out to you and your family. This is not a place anyone should have to be, but this forum has been a lifesaver for many. It's full of wonderful people who are uniquely equipped to offer support. Please stick around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back