Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Nevada
City
Las Vegas
First of all, I'd like to say I have the utmost respect for every person that has been affected by this disease. And having found such a loving community has given me a good piece of mind.

Now down to business. I am a soon to be 27 year old male. My symptoms started a month a half ago with my body as a whole shaking, barely visible. That graduated into full body and tongue twitches, fatigue, but no signs of weakness, aswell as constant charlie horse sensations. I have gone to my gp where the ran a series of tests in which they checked thyroid, standard and advanced blood tests and MRI all which came clean. They checked my mouth and noticed toungue and soft palate fascics. My symptoms have slowly progressed to a slight slur( tongue feels flaccid at tip and feels spastic at sides Full tongue mobility though), minimal difficulty swallowing(also feels like when i swallow a lot it wants to come out my nose), and constant throat clearing(due to feeling like if something is itchy). I went to the neurologist and he scheduled me for a emg test in march and didnt tell me much more. So my question any have PALS experienced these symptoms initially? Are these symtoms concerning? Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention that everytime I swallow the top of my throat doesnt seem to want to push anything down. Also, sometimes the sides of my throat feel as if my tonsils have enlarged(that might be anxiety). I feel as the sides of my throat arent functioning right and everything goes to the middle. These symptoms dont seem very good and I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best Thanks again.

Golly, there was a previous Thread not long ago almost word for word to yours. Let me see if I can find it and note some of the replies. And... I think that poster was in his early twenties and from Las Vegas too! Heck, you might know each other.

PS. You also wrote, ("I am a soon to be 27 year old male.") Really?

Really? Must be smsrt good looking young man. Thank youfor your reply.

Excuse my typos since I am typing from my phone and it isnt the newest or best one.

Whatever.

The good news is that you are scheduled for an EMG. The bad news is... where they are going to do it, according to your dominate symptoms.

My neurologist said my left arm and left leg since they show hyperflexia.

Interesting being that you wrote,

"They checked my mouth and noticed toungue and soft palate fascics. My symptoms have slowly progressed to a slight slur( tongue feels flaccid at tip and feels spastic at sides Full tongue mobility though), minimal difficulty swallowing(also feels like when i swallow a lot it wants to come out my nose), and constant throat clearing(due to feeling like if something is itchy). I went to the neurologist and he scheduled me for a emg test in march and didnt tell me much more."

You didn't mention the hyperreflexia. If the above symptoms persist I'll bet they'll do one there too. Unless it gets better.

My apologies for leaving that out. I forgot then remembered when you mentioned where they where going to do it.

Anywhooo... hope those symptoms get better so they don't have to do one there. Good luck.

Thank you sir.

If you've already had a panel of tests that have come back clean which take a lot of time; and the twitching/tongue slurring hasn't cleared up, clearly there's something wrong. Does that put ALS in your ballpark? Yes, but there are other 'treatable' disease that cause the same symptoms. So just sit back and relax, ALS is so far away right now that it's not worth thinking about. You've got age by your side and also many other possibilities to rule out. Take it easy, seriously. Those twitches will only stay with you if you spend your time worrying.

Thank you for the advice CaptainPlanet. I try to get on with my day like usual but its a tad bit difficult. I used to be the jiu jitsu practitioner who ran three miles a day. Now I find it hard to run with the immediate stiffness and constant choking that takes over. One more thing that has just happened. Its kind of strange that it happened so fast but since I wrote the first post I have started slurring and getting caught up with lots of words. My nephew told me those dreaded words in form of a question "Have you been drinking?" Even though it doesnt look so bright, I will keep my head held high and accept whatever life throws my way. Thank you guys for taking the time to read and replying to my posts and questions.

I wouldn't think anything of what your nephew said. You are hyper focusing on your words and everyone will have these moments. I know you are probably screaming in your head 'no thats not it!' I understand believe me. But still, you have a lot on your side ALS is diagnosed when there is nothing left. Trust your doctors and get a second opinion if you feel you aren't being heard. There's much work for your Neuro to do yet. These things take time and waiting is the worst part; especially when it comes to a scare from a disease such as ALS. Time and odds are with you friend. Try to be patient. There's nothing left here other than more things to worry about. Everyone here has their own story. It's not hard for a person without ALS and a few twitches to see themselves in members here.

Report back after your EMG.

Your words are wisdom sir. Thank you and will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back