Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ON
City
toronto
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I recently lost someone close to me to als. It alll but ruined me. Having seen this disease in person, I feel very foolish to be posting on here with my, as of yet, petty problems. However, I am prone to obsessive behaviours and would like some opinions before moving forward. About 3 months ago I started twitching beside my right knee. It was visible and hard. It lasted about a week, then it became bodywide twitching, which lasted 3 weeks. For the last month, I've been having localized twitching in the original location...beside my right knee. For the last two months, my right leg feels weird when I walk. I can explain the feeling...just feels kind of heavy. I'm able to do pretty much anything, however, that 'feeling' is usually present. I did mention this to my doc who did some strength tests in his office. He said I'm fine. This was several weeks ago. So, having the localized twitching and the weird feeling in that leg....does this sound familiar to anyone? I just found out I'm pregnant again and my hormones are a mess. I feel horrible for even posting...but I'm becoming quite worried.
Thank u for ur time. Any thoughts r appreciated.

Mathilda, have you read all the stickies?
Twitching is meaningless without a clinical examination done by a doctor, supporting other abnormalities, such as weakness. A feeling of heaviness is also not indicative of ALS.
I would think that you are feeling anxious due to your recent experience with the illness. You probably got a few twitches, got anxious, which always worsens twitching, and now you are concentrating on every little unusual feeling your body has.
Forget about ALS and enjoy your pregnancy, best wishes.

1) Listen to your doctor. Your symptoms aren't ALS.

2) Quit looking up your symptoms on the I n t e r n e t. There is a reason that it takes 7-10 years of medical education and training to become a neurologist specializing in neuromuscular diseases. If it took them that many years to be able to accurately diagnose ALS, what makes you think that you can do it in an afternoon with a computer and a network connection?

3) Concentrate your energies on nurturing that new life within you.

Thank you. I know u must be sick of answering these questions. My relative had bulbar onset...started with voice change. It happened so quickly after that. I didn't know much in regards to the medical aspect of his illness. I didn't ask, and I didn't research. Mostly because I agree tthat the internet is not a good place to start. But also because I didn't like the information that was available. I feel that I am doing his memory an injustice by thinking I too coud have the illness. That's why I don't want to talk about it with other family members. Which is why I turned here....and believe me I do feel badly about it. Thank you for ur honest answers though. And thank u for the well wishes :)

If I was sick of it, I would not do it :).
If I watched a love one die of ALS, I would have anxiety about the illness, especially if I was pregnant. Nurturing a new life within, makes us extremely protective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back