Anxiety recommendation please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning, Dalvin --

>Max, while your waiting to see your doc, there are some herbal teas available that might help. One is called tension tamer made by celestial seasonings. These are available at most grocery stores in the tea section. Thinking it might help relax the throat muscles.

great idea! It is on the shopping list ... I'll let you know how it goes (or not :)).

oh Max, I can sympathise with the bulbar PALS I love here.

He learned quickly to somehow calm himself whenever a choking or aspiration episode started. He became quite good at it for quite a while.

Can you find someone to talk with about breathing techniques to calm yourself at these times? Concentration when drinking your shakes is also essential. It takes the whole enjoyable social thing out of it I know.

For a very long time when my PALS was eating, we had to eat in silence, I couldn't even talk to him as just listening could take a percentage of his concentration off.

I have been taking Zoloft for more than 6 months now, and I can tell you that is not a suicide med but a life saver for me.

I feel exactly like me BUT I don't feel overwhelmed by everything, far less tense and far more able to cope.

We also now have liquid clonazepam which is given by a few drops under the tongue. You could look into it? We haven't actually used it yet, though had it here a week or so. We have it more for if he has a breathing issue and is panicked as it will give fast effect (absorbed through the mucous membranes) by relaxing the muscles just a little. The panic causes swallowing and breathing issues as I'm sure you are aware. This has been a decision as a good med to have on call since his aspiration pneumonia.

Morning, Tillie --

>He learned quickly to somehow calm himself whenever a choking or aspiration episode started. He became quite good at it for quite a while. Can you find someone to talk with about breathing techniques to calm yourself at these times?

That is what I am [trying] now.

>I have been taking Zoloft for more than 6 months now, and I can tell you that is not a suicide med but a life saver for me. I feel exactly like me BUT I don't feel overwhelmed by everything, far less tense and far more able to cope.

this seems too be the one to start with ...

>We also now have liquid clonazepam which is given by a few drops under the tongue. You could look into it? We haven't actually used it yet, though had it here a week or so ... This has been a decision as a good med to have on call since his aspiration pneumonia.

That seems like an ideal fall back for when this happens ... reading up on it now ...

Thanks!

Tillie is so right about concentration. My mom got to the point where everyone except the person helping her ear/drink had to move out of her sight because of the distraction issue. Max, possibly ask for an appointment with the speech therapist to revisit all the helpful techniques and make sure you are using all the tricks. There are more than just the chin tuck. I wish I could send you the speech therapist my sister had recently from the VNA! He actually knew how about ALS unlike the rest of the VNA group I can't remember what he said to try beyond chin tuck, thickeners and no straws.

Better living through chemistry! If there is ever a time for antidepressants and anxiolytics ALS is it! It must be horrible to have that swallow panic. I hope you can find a way to control it
Best wishes
Nikki

Thans, Nikki --

>Tillie is so right about concentration ... Max, possibly ask for an appointment with the speech therapist to revisit all the helpful techniques and make sure you are using all the tricks.

This is set for the 22nd at the VA. They are calling it 'a swallow test'

>I wish I could send you the speech therapist my sister had recently from the VNA! He actually knew how about ALS unlike the rest of the VNA

Me too.

>Better living through chemistry! ... It must be horrible to have that swallow panic. I hope you can find a way to control it

Thanks! It certainly makes each day last a bit longer :)

oh yes, speech pathologist - they are so helpful with exercises and strategies.

Even holding a napkin to your mouth after you take a sip can assist, I remember ours suggesting that way back ...

If it is a barium swallow study they are SO interesting!

Can I just say that they purposefully have you trying to consume some things that may be difficult as they want to watch how your structures cope. They will not let you choke, and watching the video later is fascinating. Obviously they won't ask you to consume dry or textured foods!

From early on my husband would say, it feels like the back of my throat just closes off when liquids hit it (thin liquids) and that's it, it just sprays straight back out.

Immediately on seeing the video it was obvious how far down his palate hangs. Watching it he could SEE just what he had been FEELING.

Well I found it fascinating, he found it irritating that he could have told them what happens...

Max, my Barney has being doing this for quite awhile and I have noticed that he quits breathing through his nose. I take him over to an open window, massage his back gently and ask him to breathe through his nose. He calms down quite quickly.
Hugs
Linda

Morning, Tillie --

>If it is a barium swallow study they are SO interesting!

that is what it is. yuck.

>Can I just say that they purposefully have you trying to consume some things that may be difficult as they want to watch how your structures cope. They will not let you choke ...

Sounds charming ...

>Immediately on seeing the video it was obvious how far down his palate hangs. Watching it he could SEE just what he had been FEELING.

Interesting (in a ghoulish sort of way :))

>Well I found it fascinating, he found it irritating that he could have told them what happens...

yes, me too ... I cannot describe it, even to myself. Very frustrating/irrititing.

Hi, Linda --

>Max, my Barney has being doing this for quite awhile and I have noticed that he quits breathing through his nose. I take him over to an open window, massage his back gently and ask him to breathe through his nose. He calms down quite quickly.

thanks, I'll tell Sandy.

Max, for what it's worth, I'm not depressed either: I just get pissed off more easily than I should.
So I took Zoloft for 5 years, and then for the past 5 years I've been taking Effexor: both antidepressents.
It works for me, keeps all of my emotions in check so I can react "normally" to people without being anti-social.

As for the "suicide" thing: that's a side effect of accidentally forgetting your meds too many days in a row. The med itself prevents suicidal thoughts. Your doctor should be able to titrate you up to the proper dose, which will probably be a low dose. Good luck.

Hi, Mike -- I have the appointment tomorrow AM and am compiling what I have learned here.

> I'm not depressed either: I just get pissed off more easily than I should

Me, too -- up & down, but the swallowing (like right now) has me more scared than pissed. :-(. Seems the only trick now is to pretend there isn't a problem.

Barium swallow was my first test, done this time last year, they told me that I may have had a stroke, that started this whole adventure with neurologists, they noticed that my tongue had faculations (I still don't feel it) and finally the clinic, I still get choked on liquids and some solids, I have a PEG tube but I'm going to eat as long as I can. Zoloft has helped me and my youngest son.

Hi Janie -- it sounds like we are on a similar track, except I don't have a PEG and I can no longer eat. I was onset in the fall of 2010, but now diagnosed until last August.

So it goes :-(

Max

Max,

You've been so very kind and generous with your help to us newbies! So sorry you are having this difficulty!

Sherry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back